sub $120 phones with excellent comfort ?
Mar 14, 2009 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Camel Toe

New Head-Fier
They gotta be superbly comfortable and preferably not have a coily cable.........i hate those things. Good unfatiguing clarity , sweet top end and solid low end would be very desirable too.

What choices would you suggest ?

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 18
For comfort, the D1001 is unbeatable. If comfort is important, just stay away from Grados and you should be fine.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For comfort, the D1001 is unbeatable. If comfort is important, just stay away from Grados and you should be fine.

I second this

Mar 14, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This right here. My D2000s are the most comfortable 'phones I've worn, and many say the D1001s are similar in comfort. Headroom had them on sale for $89.99 a little while ago, it may still be going on.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #10 of 18
D2000 still have that weightyness to them, over time i do felt alot of weight is on top of my ear, and can be uncomfortable, but i arent complaining :p And its a no-no for sleeping on the bed and listen to them, the full weight can be felt when u try to lift you head up.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #12 of 18
Comfort is largely dependent on the size of your noggin. If it's on the small side you probably won't like the AD700's but if it's normal/large you'll most likely love them.

However, comfort is subjective and what I, or others, find extremely comfortable, you might not. So your best bet is to cull the suggestions on this thread and then find a retailer in your area that stocks the cans your interested in, to see which one you feel is the most comfortable.

The other reason for trying out the headphones is that you need to judge their output, based on your personal preferences. You probably already know this but most novice headphone users want a ton of bass but all that bass normally results in some marked compromises in the total audio spectrum.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter186 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree with the Denon D1000s/1001s. Just got mine yesterday, and I've hardly taken them off. VERY comfortable phones.

My friend is just like that, HOWEVER, it is worth noting that if you have large ears, these are not big enough. Such is the case for me. If the OP has small ears, seconded, otherwise, look for something larger.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOWEVER, it is worth noting that if you have large ears, these are not big enough.

Yeah, I can imagine that. I don't know if my ears are average or not, but the edges of my ears def. touch the insides of the pads. I usually wiggle the cups a little bit to get the pads around my ears. If you had larger ears than me, the pads would sit on them.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter186 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I can imagine that. I don't know if my ears are average or not, but the edges of my ears def. touch the insides of the pads. I usually wiggle the cups a little bit to get the pads around my ears. If you had larger ears than me, the pads would sit on them.

Parts of my ears need to fold over to fit inside the D1001s. But most people who try them on say they're the most comfy headphones they've worn (non-audiophiles).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back