Sub $1000 IEMs
Aug 6, 2017 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

4Fan

Head-Fier
As per title , i'm on the hunt for some $1000 IEMs which sounds between a analytical and fun , and also good comfort as I'll be wearing them for hours . Universal or Custom.
So far my choices are ( not in any order ):
1) UERR - Good , really nice details , does have a little 'fun' in it as well , though I've demo-ed it for around 10 mins only, will go for a longer listening period before buying .
2)QDC 5 Drivers - Warm & Smooth , fun sound , though lacks a touch of sparkle and details for me , but otherwise very good.
3)Beyer Xelento- Relatively balanced , with one of the best bass I've heard . Mids and Highs are good for the this price range , nothing special. Very small and comfortable as well .
4)64Audio U6- Never heard them , but will demo them before finally deciding.
5)CA Andromeda- Never heard them , will demo before deciding although slightly over budget , and have concerns about the fit , but based of reviews it's a must try .

That's all on my shortlist for now , anything else I should look into before heading out for a round of demo sessions ?

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 6
As per title , i'm on the hunt for some $1000 IEMs which sounds between a analytical and fun , and also good comfort as I'll be wearing them for hours . Universal or Custom.
So far my choices are ( not in any order ):
1) UERR - Good , really nice details , does have a little 'fun' in it as well , though I've demo-ed it for around 10 mins only, will go for a longer listening period before buying .
2)QDC 5 Drivers - Warm & Smooth , fun sound , though lacks a touch of sparkle and details for me , but otherwise very good.
3)Beyer Xelento- Relatively balanced , with one of the best bass I've heard . Mids and Highs are good for the this price range , nothing special. Very small and comfortable as well .
4)64Audio U6- Never heard them , but will demo them before finally deciding.
5)CA Andromeda- Never heard them , will demo before deciding although slightly over budget , and have concerns about the fit , but based of reviews it's a must try .

That's all on my shortlist for now , anything else I should look into before heading out for a round of demo sessions ?

I've just got the U6 and love them, when you demo them see if they have the M15 module as well as the M20, the M20 module has excellent sub-bass response but was a little too much and I prefer the balanced sound the M15 module offers.

Aug 7, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 6
I don't think you will find the Andromeda particularly a difficult fit. And they sound marvelous.
Great , i hope so too , thanks !

I've just got the U6 and love them, when you demo them see if they have the M15 module as well as the M20, the M20 module has excellent sub-bass response but was a little too much and I prefer the balanced sound the M15 module offers.
I see , good to know before heading for demo , thanks !

Aug 9, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 6
I've got a few recommendations, based off my experiences testing iems in Singapore.
1. JH13v2- I used to own them, they had great detail and incredible bass but the top end was slightly rolled off. Good if you want something that is slightly warm, musical and highly enjoyable.
2. QDC 8ss/8sh- Although these are above the $1k range, I sincerely believe they are worth saving up for. The 8ss is dry and slightly sterile, but it offers incredibly detailed mids and sparkling highs. Great for analytical listening. The QDC 8sh is more musical and lively than the 8ss due to the increased mid-bass and sub-bass. However, in terms of overall detail retrieval, it is slightly behind the 8sh, and the highs have less sparkle. However, the more musical tonality allows for easier listening.
3. QDC 4ss- I personally found these to be better than the QDC 5sh. They offer better detail retrieval with more sparkle in the highs. Unfortunately, they may sound overly thin.
4. Empire Ears Spartan IV- Awesome bang for your buck, great musical tonality, though bass might be a little boomy. Warm sound signature as well. Pleasure to listen to. Soundstage and separation comes close to the Andromeda.
5. Jomo 6R- Decent iem overall, mid-centric. Good details, but sound seemed slightly coloured to me.
+1 to the UERR
+1 to the CA Andromeda
These are all based on my impressions and my preferences. The best way to determine what suits you is for you to go and have a listen yourself.
If you happen to be in Singapore, I recommend you to drop by Music Sanctuary. They have great staff who can help you out with whatever you need.

Good luck with your hunt,
Zern

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 6
I've got a few recommendations, based off my experiences testing iems in Singapore.
1. JH13v2- I used to own them, they had great detail and incredible bass but the top end was slightly rolled off. Good if you want something that is slightly warm, musical and highly enjoyable.
2. QDC 8ss/8sh- Although these are above the $1k range, I sincerely believe they are worth saving up for. The 8ss is dry and slightly sterile, but it offers incredibly detailed mids and sparkling highs. Great for analytical listening. The QDC 8sh is more musical and lively than the 8ss due to the increased mid-bass and sub-bass. However, in terms of overall detail retrieval, it is slightly behind the 8sh, and the highs have less sparkle. However, the more musical tonality allows for easier listening.
3. QDC 4ss- I personally found these to be better than the QDC 5sh. They offer better detail retrieval with more sparkle in the highs. Unfortunately, they may sound overly thin.
4. Empire Ears Spartan IV- Awesome bang for your buck, great musical tonality, though bass might be a little boomy. Warm sound signature as well. Pleasure to listen to. Soundstage and separation comes close to the Andromeda.
5. Jomo 6R- Decent iem overall, mid-centric. Good details, but sound seemed slightly coloured to me.
+1 to the UERR
+1 to the CA Andromeda
These are all based on my impressions and my preferences. The best way to determine what suits you is for you to go and have a listen yourself.
If you happen to be in Singapore, I recommend you to drop by Music Sanctuary. They have great staff who can help you out with whatever you need.

Good luck with your hunt,
Zern
Thanks for your input
I'm going to demo the 4SS as well , though im interested in the Spartan , what does 'MTO' mean in music sanctuary's website ? It's more a lot more expensive than the regular Spartan after conversion ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back