Sub $1000 closed back recommendations.
Nov 5, 2021 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ilumeo

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Looking for some recommendations on closed backs.
I'm mostly considering second hand pricing too with the $1000 price bracket.

I'm looking with punchy bass - I had previously tried the Focal Elex, and I was thinking maybe the Elegias, Radiance or Celestee might be similar, in closed back form?
I'm also looking into maybe the Modhouse Argons (though I don't fancy the wait time), and maybe the LCD-XC.

Any thoughts would be well appreciated - whether they be comparisons between the ones I've described, or more suggestions that I haven't looked into!

Thanks!

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 12
Elegia is okay (and given you can find them for $400 new that's impressive). Will probably want different pads, and definitely an aftermarket cable. Figure another $100-200.

Used? Denon AH-D7200. Like an Elegia but better. (And apparently a 9200 is the best, but outside my price range)

Closed back isn't my focus -- I live alone and my air conditioner isn't that loud, so open backs are fine.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you! Don't know anything about Denon headphones so I'll look into those!

Yeah closed backs aren't my focus either - but I find my PC raises the noise floor so I can't hear quite as much detail as when I use my DAP (on my Aryas).
Figured I might try another closed back pair for travel / outside use!

Nov 5, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 12
Yeah I have considered that - but I'm already using a noctua cooler for my CPU, and I believe a lot of the sounds come from coil whine of the GPU and the GPU fans.

So short of a custom water cooled loop and an entirely new case I don't think there's much to practically change.

And well, closed backs would be great for travel and when I'm using it at University (when I get to go back 😭)

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 12
The Fostex TH-600 is one to look at.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 12
Just sold off my elegias. $400 is a great price, plus you can get a pretty good deal used. Though I feel like 100 - 150 of that was just the crazy build quality. I got argon's coming in another month or 2 (lol), but for now I use iems when I need isolation/otg. Not sure if you're considering iems, but I feel they get the job done better than closed backs for travel or public spaces.

Nov 6, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #8 of 12
The Fostex TH-600 is one to look at.
Thanks!! I will have a look at those too!
Just sold off my elegias. $400 is a great price, plus you can get a pretty good deal used. Though I feel like 100 - 150 of that was just the crazy build quality. I got argon's coming in another month or 2 (lol), but for now I use iems when I need isolation/otg. Not sure if you're considering iems, but I feel they get the job done better than closed backs for travel or public spaces.
Let me know how the Argons sound when you get em hey!
Also good point, thanks for reminding me about IEM's - I don't use IEM's much as in the past they'd make my ear canals quite sore after a couple of hours. That being said, maybe I just haven't used good quality eartips? I might look into perhaps getting some second hand Moondrop Blessings which I've heard are good!

Nov 6, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 12
You may want to look into this thread.
ZMF Atticus fits the bill. Very nice mid bass slam and great mids.
You may find one used for under a grand, or keep your fingers crossed for one of ZMF's b-stock Atticus, which should come in right around your target budget.

Nov 7, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 12
Hi all,

Looking for some recommendations on closed backs.
I'm mostly considering second hand pricing too with the $1000 price bracket.

I'm looking with punchy bass - I had previously tried the Focal Elex, and I was thinking maybe the Elegias, Radiance or Celestee might be similar, in closed back form?
I'm also looking into maybe the Modhouse Argons (though I don't fancy the wait time), and maybe the LCD-XC.

Any thoughts would be well appreciated - whether they be comparisons between the ones I've described, or more suggestions that I haven't looked into!

Thanks!
Definitely the TH900, insane bass on that thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back