Sub 100$ with good isolation IEM's ?
Jun 14, 2019 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

slinbin

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good addition to my current IEMs that will help keep me isolated from the world around me.

I previously used Sennheiser active on ears for traveling, but after I bought Shure's I found these just as good (even if not active) and a lot more comfortable.

I have in the last year tried a multitude of IEM's from the "BEST Sub-100$ BUDGET EARPHONES" thread, and found them rather valuable for the sound quality vs price, some more comfortable than others, non comfy as the Shures, and none have an isolation even close to the Shures (vents probably play in here :wink:, I really really want isolation.

So I very much would like your recommendations regarding an IEM that fit this description:
  • Good/super isolation
  • Sub 100$
  • Music quality on par with whats going on in the thread "BEST Sub-100$ BUDGET EARPHONES"

My current IEM's for references are: Shure E2(wire repaired badly), Shure SE215(best fit and isolation), Shure SE315(somehow I like the 215 better), QKZ VK1(not to my liking), CCA C10(favorite), KZ ZS5(enjoyable), KZ ZSR(not to my liking), CCA CA4(pleasantly surprised).
If it has any interest my sources are: Behringer DAC/Desktop, Shanling-M0, Phone

I would have liked to place this request in the "BEST Sub-100$ BUDGET EARPHONES" thread, but will naturally obey forum rules.

UPDATE:
I will list suggestion here as they come, and later update with my thoughts and prices:
  • Fiio FA1, 96$
  • westone um pro 10, 150$
  • westone um1, 100$
  • Etymotic MK5, 60$ (doe not appear comfortable for resting on the side)
  • Klipsch r6 ii, 80$
  • Massdrop/NuForce EDC3, 100$
  • RHA MA750/MA650, 150$/100$
  • Tennmak Pro, 10$ (without cable), appear to have a vent
  • NICEHCK HC5 5BA,
  • Hisenior H1+, 56$
  • NICEHCK HC5, 108$
  • KZ zs3/zs3e/zs4 (I think they all have vents ? will check)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 10
Try looking for IEM's that have no vents. The se215 does not and neither does the more expensive Etymotic ER series.

Fiio FA1 comes to mind. Barely under limit. Single BA, so may not be a signature you'd prefer.

Maybe KZ zs3/zs3e/zs4, which is said to have good isolation. Sound quality may not be on par though.

I like my westone um pro 10's more than my old se215's, but all the Westones are out of your price range. I never directly compared isolation, but should be similar.

Foam tips will also help.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 10
Try looking for IEM's that have no vents. The se215 does not and neither does the more expensive Etymotic ER series.

Fiio FA1 comes to mind. Barely under limit. Single BA, so may not be a signature you'd prefer.

Maybe KZ zs3/zs3e/zs4, which is said to have good isolation. Sound quality may not be on par though.

I like my westone um pro 10's more than my old se215's, but all the Westones are out of your price range. I never directly compared isolation, but should be similar.

Foam tips will also help.
Thanks !
Yes foam tips all the way, forgot to mention I only ise foam except for convenience during working out.
I've wanted to try the Westone after the Shures, but as you say, with all the multi/hybrid driver comming out now, that a interesting field to observe (maybe not better).
The Fiio is an interesting contender, thnk you, I would be suppriced if it is better Sound/isolation than the Shure's (The price is almost identical).

It is a little strange to me that none of the Chinese producers have tried to differenciate them self by having no vents, and maybe single tubes per driver(driver-group).

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 10
etymotic is known for good isolation.
I dont know if I like there sound profile (dont know in the way I suppose not but have no experience)
But I can not imagine it would be comfortable resting on the side (head) with etymotic as it is with Shure's.
My question was regarding isolation and the etymotic is quite proberly an interesting contender for that, I will later decide how to weight other features,
Thank you for you suggestion !

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 10
It seems to have gone from amazon but westone.com still list the budget westone um1 (note not 10) on their site for $99.99 if that's any use? It will sound different to the shure 215 due to being a single ba and not dynamic like the shure, but the isolation and comfort should be up there.

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Have you tried the Klipsch 6 ii? What Hi Fi wrote a good 5 star review of them. I got mine for $44 from Amazon.

Isolation improved with Comply foam tips.

If you like balanced armatures, try the Massdrop/NuForce EDC3. For $100, you get 3 Knowles balanced armatures and a decent 2-pin cable that you can upgrade later.

The RHA MA-750 or 650 are also worth a look. My 750s benefitted from some “run in” time.

Hope this helps.

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 10
I have updated the first comment of this thread to include the suggestion I have received.
Thank you for the suggestions, please please keep posting if anything comes to mind.
I will research a bit, acquire some IEM's and let you know my findings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back