Sub $100 Over-the-Ear Headphones for a very long flight
Dec 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vcash

New Head-Fier
Hey All, 
Let me start of by saying, that I am completely new to the world of headphones. I have never bought a pair of headphones in my life and usually use ones that come bundled with my devices. 

I am going on an international trip next week and will be flying for a cumulative 40 hours and would like a nice comfortable pair of headphones that will not break the bank. I usually listen to my current iPhone bundled headphones with the following devices: iPhone 5 while on the move or my iPod Classic in the Gym and my MacBook Pro while at home.

I mostly listen to music downloaded through Spotify and have an eclectic mix of the Billboard 100, American Indie Rock (Two Door Cinema Club, Passion Pit, Foster the People, Back Keys etc.), some Electro Swing & a little bit of "Hip-Pop" & House. 

These are the things, I care about ranked in order of preference: 

1) Sound Quality - I've lived with generic headphones all my life so I would like to see what the light side of the force looks like. 

2) Comfort - Apple headphones hurt after a while. I would like something comfortable than what I use right now. 

3) Sound leakage - I am very particular about not disrespecting other people's spaces and would like something that keeps the song within my ears. Having said that I typically listen to music at about 50 to 60% volume on my iPhone and iPod. 

4) Sound Isolation - I am going to be flying a lot so it's going to be pretty noisy - Something to keep the engine noise out would be nice. 

5) Price - Under $100 please. 

6) Portability - I will not use the over the ear ones at the Gym so I am okay if they are on the medium to bulkier side as I will carry a backpack around with me. 

7) Bonus Features - Detachable cord would be nice as would an inline remote to control my Apple products and I prefer one wire to two (However these are not deal breakers) - Also, a little color and a smart design would be cool (I know people dislike the Beats here for a variety of reasons but I think the Beats Executive Pro look quite sharp in Red, Silver & Black). 

Finally, if possible I would like to pick these up from BestBuy so the suggestion should be relatively mainstream - I understand that I widen my options by going online but I have some credit at Best-Buy that I would like to use plus BB is pretty good with price matching Amazon now - Also, I really don't have time to get something shipped before I leave. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Cheers!
V

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2 of 11
You'll get the best noise isolation by using earbuds such as the Shure SE215, but if you need to go with full sized headphones I'd suggest the Phillips Downtown. They have a remote, and e cushion is made of memory phone so it's comfy and conforms to your earshape. At $100 I'm not sure if there are any active noise-canceling headphones worth it.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 11
Sorry, I actually meant the Uptown headphones - they used to be available for well under $100 but amazon has them much higher now...

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the suggestions - I am not sure about Shure (See what I did there!) primarily because they are in ear - I was keen on trying out a pair of over the ear ones. Also I checked out the Philips Uptown but it's expensive at $150. 

Finally, I am not looking for noise canceling as much as noise isolating headphones. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 11
What about the ATH-M50 ? 
They are 104$ on Amazon right now, amazing deal. 

Around the ear, comfy and good isolation.  
The bass is a bit emphasized but very good sound overall, for what you listen. They perform very good in electronic sound though. 

Not available on BestBuy,  I think. But it's a good choice to consider in your list. 

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 11
The ATH-M50 has always been on the radar - The reason I did not pull the trigger was because I wanted to see if I could get something off BB. Also, this may be nitpicking but I am not a fan of the coiled cable. 

Any opinions on the Logitech UE-4000 - Seems to tick all my boxes. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 11
Go for a used Ultrasone HFI 580:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasone-HFI-580-S-Logic-Surround-Sound-Professional-Headphones-NEW-/300820413310?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item460a4b3b7e

Or go for a Sony XB500:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB500-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355634144&sr=8-1&keywords=xb500

Or go for a Koss PRO DJ200 (a DJ100 with an inline control for Apple products and a detachable cable I think.)

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PRODJ200-Full-Headphones-Black/product-reviews/B007CNC79A/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 11
Only problem with m50's is might have some discomfort on a long flight. Idk about the general consensus they have a pretty bad clamp that puts alot of pressure right on the middle of your head. Stretching it helps but i was only able to wear mine around 4hrs

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
What about the ATH-M50 ? 
They are 104$ on Amazon right now, amazing deal. 

Around the ear, comfy and good isolation.  
The bass is a bit emphasized but very good sound overall, for what you listen. They perform very good in electronic sound though. 

Not available on BestBuy,  I think. But it's a good choice to consider in your list. 

Go for these.  They fit just about every one of your criteria and $104.00 is an incredibly low price for them.
Nits can always be picked, but for that price I don't see you possibly doing better with any other closed headphones.

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for the replies. I missed out on the ATH-M50 deal unfortunately. This answer is going to make most of cringe but I picked up a MDR-V55 from Best Buy for $40 - They price matched it to Sony's 50% off holiday deal - Figured I could not go terribly wrong at that price and maybe later I'll invest in a solid pair of headphones. 

Once again, Thank you for your replies and Happy Holidays. 

Cheers,
V

P.S. Should I break these in by playing white noise \ pink noise or is that not necessary for a pair of budget headphones like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back