Sub-$100 IEM's
Nov 13, 2005 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

CJC252

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I've been browsing around Head-Fi for the past week or so and I've decided that I am going to get some IEM's.

I have a 5G iPod, I listen to indie & hip-hop, and I listen to it mostly in/around high school. Therefore, I want something discrete, isolating, but nice sounding. Also, I need some good bass for hip-hop.

Being a high school student, my budget is $100.

From what I've read, these are the ones I've gathered:

Shure E2C
UE super.fi 3
Ety ER-6i
Westone UM1

Any suggestions?

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 26
welcome to head-fi...and sorry about that wallet of yours.

i'm a big fan of the er6i which, at around $85, is the best value of those you listed. it sounds good straight out of the ipod but is also improved with an amp down the road.

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 26
Dunno, the E2c's and Sf 3's might be a bit shy in the bass for hip-hop.

Nov 13, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 26
Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, I figured it would be hard to pack a lot of bass in IEM's.

And I don't plan on buying an amp, but I'm assuming all of those listed will work sufficiently straight out of an iPod.

Nov 14, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 26
If you can afford to spend a little more, the super.fi EB is reported to give tonnes of quality bass that any hip-hop lover should enjoy.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 26
I only had experience with the Shure E2c. They were great for me. The E2cs were my first IEM. I have sold mine and now I am getting the Westone UM2s. If you never used IEMs over a long period of time I think you should start off with something in the range that you suggested. If you spend a lot of money on a high model IEM you may be wasting your money. Some people do not like wearing IEMs. There are problems such as ear canal pain and even ear infections. Also some people just cannot get the right seal.

Another thing about the Shure E2c is that they have a great warranty. Shure covers the E2c for 2 years! Because the E2c were my first IEM I did not truly know how to treat them. Well because of this I ended up cracking the left earpiece. The great thing was that Shure replaced them under warranty.

As for other options I would recommend the Etymotic ER6i. I never tried them, but I had planned to get them when buying the Shure E2c. They were too expensive for me at the time. I've read some reviews and I believe it is agreed that the Etymotic ER6i are superior in sound to the Shure E2c. But I have heard that the ER6is are not built as well as the Shure E2c.

P.S. Notice how I use to believe that the Etymotic ER6i were too expensive, $120 at the time, but now I am spending $250+ for the Westone UM2s!
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 26
exgb, looks like you're right, it's advertised as having more bass, but it's a little too expensive

Lsportline, thanks for sharing your experience, that helps

So I guess it's down to the E2C and ER6i, unless someone has any others that haven't been mentioned.

I'm leaning towards the E2C. Mainly because of the price, build quality (and warranty) mentioned by Lsportline, and they look more comfortable. I don't mind much about the sound quality unless the ER6i has a signicant boost in bass, which it doesn't seem to.

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 26
OMG DOOM!

EDIT: Since you'll be listening to MF Doom/Madvillain/Zev Love X of KMD/King Geedorah/Dangerdoom/Viktor Vaughn, among other hip hop, I would probably tell you to go with the e2s for the bass. Be sure to pick up the Shure e2g, those look really slick compared to the e2c, imo. If you don't like the sound you can try Kramer's mod, but based on what I've read, the Ety's aren't quite known for their bass.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 26
Another MF Doom/Madvillain/Zev Love X of KMD/King Geedorah/Dangerdoom/Viktor Vaughn fan!?!?
basshead.gif

Anyway, yeah I think I'll go for the E2C's. Should hold me over until my wallet grows, only to be emptied because of Head-Fi
frown.gif

Oh, and is the only difference between the E2c and E2g the look? On Headroom, it says that the E2g is geared more towards gaming. Anyone know?

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CJC252
Another MF Doom/Madvillain/Zev Love X of KMD/King Geedorah/Dangerdoom/Viktor Vaughn fan!?!?
basshead.gif

Anyway, yeah I think I'll go for the E2C's. Should hold me over until my wallet grows, only to be emptied because of Head-Fi
frown.gif

Oh, and is the only difference between the E2c and E2g the look? On Headroom, it says that the E2g is geared more towards gaming. Anyone know?

I believe the tube of the E2g is a little smaller. Meaning the E2c's and E2g's sleeves wouldn't be interchangeable. And also the cable may different. I think it is longer or shorter, not sure though. Other then that I think the drivers/speakers are the same.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CJC252
basshead.gif

frown.gif

Personally, I dont go with e2s. The bass isn't that much better then the er6i and treble is much worst. I would take the er6i over the e2s. The e2s are ok and maybe you will like them but the er6i are much better.

For the bass the westone UM1s are going to have alittle more bass but still don't have the treble like the er6i. UE.pro.3's are along the same lines. There havent been good reviews comparing these two models so there isnt really a good answer.

I think either of these choices are good(um1s and UE.pro 3's). I haven't heard them, but have read good things about them. er6i and e2s I have owned and no question as to which is better in my mind. er6i would be my conservative pick and if I really wanted bass I would choice one of the other two (um1s and UE.pro 3's).

Nov 14, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 26
@kdread: I haven't, I'll check that out, thanks for the recommendation.

@chris: I've been doing some research and I think I'd rather have the bass of the Shures. I don't mind much about treble. Also, I think the Shures look more comfortable than the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back