Sub $100 IEM with bass but clarity possible?
Nov 13, 2009 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

tsenfw

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I've tried searching the forum for days but am confused because of so many conflicting opinions.

I had my ipod and shure e2c's stolen, so it's IEM replacement time. I liked the fit, isolation, over the ear cord, clarity and sq of the e2c's but the bass was definitely lacking.

Here's what I'm looking for:
1.) Clarity and sq >= Shure e2c
2.) Good to Great bass
3.) Sub $100 (new or used, cheaper the better but I don't exactly want to buy something I won't like or will break in a month)

Can you guys think of some models that I should consider?

I was looking at Monster Turbines and Skullcandy titans but saw MANY mixed reviews. Also, I think those are lower than I want to go SQ wise. Saw PL30's for good prices but then see reviews say lacking in bass.

Full brand and model names please, I'm having a hard time deciphering all the acronyms.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 38
Klipsch Image S4
biggrin.gif

Or the CKS70'd be great too.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 38
Ya, the Klipsch Image S4, seem to be, from what I've read, a all around good pair of IEMs,they also seem to be one of the most recommended(on here at least) IEMs for your price range.

And wow, two threads involving a stolen ipod in the same day. Well, maybe the thief(s?) well get into high quality earphones, join head-fi, and... well, I can't really think of anything for after that...

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 38
My thoughts are the S4 as well, but let them get a good burn-in before passing final judgment. I think they are a fantastic value at $79, but it's just my opinion (and a few others).

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #8 of 38
C551s are decent phones, but may be a compromise in SQ; I would try the C7XX if you go with Denon.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 38
Think so? Balance may be better, but I don't find the bass bloated on the S4. I tried to really like the 590s, but could never get a great fit with their sleeves, and while I can see why people like them, I ended up selling them. Again, for the price they are decent, but to me, I much prefer the S4. But then again, the S4 with the Amp3 is a match made in heaven, so I could not let them go for anything. For whatever reason, those two pieces of gear just mesh. Not true of the 590s and Amp3.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 38
Haven't tried the S4 with my amp3 yet but with the Fuze the bass is a little boomy for my liking. They remind me of the Shure E4 in that sense. I guess for those who crave bass quantity the S4 are perfect as they don't really sacrifice anything else and I can also see people liking them plenty. Just a too much low-end bias for my taste.

Also, I don't think they can match the RE0 on detail. Don't remember where I read that they could, but really, it's just not there.

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 38
I'm wondering the same thing..my ipod was stolen the other day..had a pair of Turbines in them..so pissed.

Only thing I didn't like about the turbines was that they weren't the most comfortable IEM..I workout a lot and they tend to not stay in so well.

I picked up the S4..so far they are amazingly comfortable and sound great, didn't burn in yet..but I'm also wondering if there are others that may be better for the price range.

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 38
Not here, since I don't own the RE0. I didn't compare the RE0 to the S4, only to the IM590. But I do have some reference to RE phones, having owned the RE2 and RE3 (and I am getting a pair of 252s as well to review). Strange how HD seems to have gotten one pair of IEMs very right, but the rest are just okay. They should have stuck to the RE0 housing in my view for the latest release.

I guess when the OP says good to great bass, the RE line doesn't come to mind. I know it's there, but they are just not bassy phones by and large. Details yes, bass no. I have the 616s and had the ER4P and while the bass is there, it's not REALLY there (unless you amp or EQ it out of them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back