Sub $100 IEM for Bass loving Grado fan
Aug 13, 2012 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

generic user

New Head-Fier
This questions didnt get much love in the full sized can forum...

I'm more of a casual listener but I've been an avid fan of the Grado sound. I have in my collection: an SR60i, an SR225i and a modded SR60i (mesh cloth removed, punched 10 holes, felt mod). Of all combinations, I have come to love the sound of modded SR60i + G pads (even more than SR225i + G pads). I really like the extra punchy bass over the loss of some sparkly highs. In fact, I believe a bit more bass cannot hurt. I mostly listen to hard /soft rock, alternative, rock instrumental and female vocalists. I do not have an amp and listen through either my laptop or ipod nano.

My question: I'm on the go a lot and cannot use the Grados outside. What would be a good $50-$100 IEM that has a sound similar to Grados? Preferably with a bit more bass? I'm currently using MEElectornics M9, MEElectornics RX12 and Brainwavz M4 and am not too happy with any of them. My list of candidates: Vsonic GR02 bass edition, Grado iGi, Beyerdynamic DTX 101 IE, Dunu Trident; but I'm open to suggestions. I'm inclining towards either the Grado iGi or the DTX 101....

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 9
I own the Monster turbine and got them on amazon for 86 dollars, they are extremely worth it. The sound has incredible clear bass, great highs and mids, you cannot go wrong with them. Have an all metal construction, extremely light and they are much better than any that i know of... 

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 9
^Like apples and oranges. 

If you want to replicate the Grado can sound in an IEM, you need to find one that's treble happy with a closed in, on-stage like and in your face presentation. Better stick with dynamics on this one and out of initial list the iGi may be a safe bet.  I would recommend the JVC FX500, which fits your budget used and beware of the fakes selling on ebay.  If you can muster up another $150, find a good used JVC/Victor FX700 and you'll have your bass with a sound that mimics more like the Grado Reference series.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
^Like apples and oranges. 

If you want to replicate the Grado can sound in an IEM, you need to find one that's treble happy with a closed in, on-stage like and in your face presentation. Better stick with dynamics on this one and out of initial list the iGi may be a safe bet.  I would recommend the JVC FX500, which fits your budget used and beware of the fakes selling on ebay.  If you can muster up another $150, find a good used JVC/Victor FX700 and you'll have your bass with a sound that mimics more like the Grado Reference series.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 9
Just a follow up to the post...

I bought the Beyerdynamic DTX 101 IE and I'm impressed! It is almost what I was looking for, if not better. It does not have the Grado house sound but carries the same 'airy' feeling. The sound seems very wide and instruments are all over the place (good soundstage?) With the other three IEMs I have (MEE M9, MEE RX12, Brainwavz M4), it seems there are little speakers in my ear from which the sound is coming out, but with the DTX 101, it seems the sound is playing all around and I'm sitting in the middle. The highs are somewhat sparkly but very clear. And the bass.... oh the bass!

If you are a Grado fan looking for a sub $100 IEM with a little extra bass and don't mind a bit loss in the sparkles, I'd definitely recommend Beyerdynamic DTX 101 IE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back