Sub $100 Closed Headphones
Aug 7, 2008 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

giordun

Head-Fier
Looking for some closed headphones for a friend... He mainly listens to the songs that you'd find in like the Billboard 100 so a lot of pop and pop-rock stuff. To be honest I think he's just wanting them to stand out and look cooler so more wild looking headphones (not AKG K1000 wild) are fine. I think he would like having a more detailed sound because that makes it sound like good quality.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 19
Hello! I just purchased the Sony Mdr-v6 and while I have yet to hear them myself, have heard great things. I tried them on at the Sony store and they were quite comfortable. I have also tried and listened to the Sennheiser HD-280. It sounds great, imo, but I did not find them very comfortable. I wish there was a way for them to blend the comfort of the HD-555 (great open headphones under $100) with the closed HD-280. I would have bought these instead if that was the case but the "clamp" is what helps isolate them. Hope this helps a little. I will let you know how the Sonys are this evening if you would like, they arrived today!

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Equation Audio RP 21

Agreed. He should buy mine!
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 19
The Denons are a bit out of his price range... But good idea I'll let him try them one day.

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 19
The letter at the end is the color. K is black and S is Silver.

I think they're like on the same level on sound quality with the Denon being better in some categories and the Sony being better in others. I have not tried on the Sony but I am already going to say that the Denons are definitely more comfortable than the Sony ones will be.

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 19
Gotcha, I am considering replacing the earpads with the dt-250 pad replacements if they are uncomfortable. I am going to be using them at work most of the time, so they need to be comfortable. Where will your friend be using his mostly?

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 19
The Beats, for their flaws, have good detailing. Some friends who aren't into headphones tried them on and thought they were amazing.

They have pretty laughable noise cancellation -- not only does it create a good amount of noise on its own, but it's so weak it doesn't justify the headphones' reliance on batteries. They're also kind of expensive at $350, but compared to other mainstream headphones with noise cancellation (i.e. Bose) they have a better money-to-quality ratio.

They're new, look trendy, have good detailing, and are endorsed by Dr. Dre. This seems to fit your friends' requirements.

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 19
I kind of want the Beats headphones myself since I'm a big fan of Dr. Dre, but that will have to be later. Yea the Beats are like kind of out of his price range... only about 3-4 times his budget. :p

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by giordun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denons are a bit out of his price range... But good idea I'll let him try them one day.

Isn't his budget $100? The D1001 is only $81 shipped. No-brainer IMO. What other closed phone could touch the Denons at that price point?

Aug 8, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #15 of 19
Where the hell do you get $81 D1001? The store that I went to sells them for about $125.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back