Sub-$100 closed cans: HD280 vs SRH 440/840 vs Audio Technica M50
Oct 30, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarksonius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the SRH-440 but I have heard the SRH-840, HD-280, and I own an M50. Without a doubt, the SRH-840 is the best sounding phone, even without an amp. (It's very natural sounding and seems to have a wider sound stage than the others) The HD-280 is very neutral but it's a little underwhelming; I feel that it takes some of the life out of music but that's a personal preference. However if you're a base head, the M50 is definitely the phone for you. The base has much greater impact on the M50 than the 840, but sometimes that makes them sound congested. One thing to keep in mind is that the M50 requires a lot of burn-in. (My pair took over 200 hours before it was palatable)

On a side note, I actually modded my M50 to attenuate the base and bring out the mids by removing the felt plug Audio-Technica put in the back of the driver and adding some fiber-loft for additional damping. IMO that gave them a much less congested and more "open" sound. I also dynamatted the cups to improve isolation and reduce leakage.

I see in your sig. that you have the k240S. How do the 840 and the m50 stack up against the 240S? That would give me a frame of reference, since I know the 240 well.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 23
With the exception of what feels like an artificial "hump" of base with the K240S, I actually prefer the sound of my K240S. Since you like the AKG sound, you'll probably prefer the 840. Unless you mod it, the M50 just feels like a subwoofer strapped to your skull.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

With the exception of what feels like an artificial "hump" of base with the K240S, I actually prefer the sound of my K240S. Since you like the AKG sound, you'll probably prefer the 840. Unless you mod it, the M50 just feels like a subwoofer strapped to your skull.

That's exactly what I was afraid of with the m50. the K240S does have a big 'hump' in the upper bass centered somewhere around 180hz or so. The k240DF doesn't have that problem at all. What does the 240St do better than the others, IYO?

Nov 1, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mod the M50... in what way?

Edit: and in what way did you mod your HP910?

I talked about how I modded the M50 earlier in the thread. As for the HP910: I removed the felt on the outside, dynamatted the back of the drivers, and stuffed the pads. They sound a little more like a cross between an ATH-AD500 & Beyer 880 now; although I have to say the mids & highs on both the AD500 and 880 are better.

@ Lejaz: For some reason I can listen to the K240s for hours on end. The sound is much less fatiguing than the stock M50, although they are both pretty smooth. It mostly has to do with the fact that they don't feel as "injected," and the mids have a much "warmer" feeling to them. I also find them much more comfortable than the 840 & M50.

Impressions off of my pair of M50 aren't really accurate since my modded one sounds a lot more like an 840...if it's any help here are some things I considered when I was deciding between the 840 and M50:
1) The M50 is more compact and lighter and has a nicer cable.
2) The pads on the 840 are nicer (they have an awesome memory foam material that improves mids & highs but makes them somewhat base anemic). 840 pads on an M50 (IMO) make them sound better, but they don't fit terribly well.
3) Both sound better w/ an amp, although the 840s benefit much more from amping.
4) As far as how anal the cans are with their sources: K240s is worse than the M50 which is worse than the 840 (making the 840 least picky).

I hope this helps...

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the Denon AH-D1001 and I find them very good.

Yes I have heard about their performance a lot but unfortunately, I'm looking for sth foldable
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

@ Lejaz: For some reason I can listen to the K240s for hours on end. The sound is much less fatiguing than the stock M50, although they are both pretty smooth. It mostly has to do with the fact that they don't feel as "injected," and the mids have a much "warmer" feeling to them. I also find them much more comfortable than the 840 & M50.

Impressions off of my pair of M50 aren't really accurate since my modded one sounds a lot more like an 840...if it's any help here are some things I considered when I was deciding between the 840 and M50:
1) The M50 is more compact and lighter and has a nicer cable.
2) The pads on the 840 are nicer (they have an awesome memory foam material that improves mids & highs but makes them somewhat base anemic). 840 pads on an M50 (IMO) make them sound better, but they don't fit terribly well.
3) Both sound better w/ an amp, although the 840s benefit much more from amping.
4) As far as how anal the cans are with their sources: K240s is worse than the M50 which is worse than the 840 (making the 840 least picky).

I hope this helps...

Thanks. I must have read a dozen times or more about the 'smooth' mids of the k240s. Maybe that's what you mean when you say they are 'warmer' than the m50. but I agree, even the 240DF which has more transparent, detailed mids than the 240S has a very 'smooth' sound which isn't at all fatiguing like the v6 which I used to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back