SU-8 V2 With Jotunheim
May 21, 2019 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ADMRL

New Head-Fier
Picked up a SMSL SU-8 Dac from Massdrop, I was wondering if anyone has paired it with a Jotunheim? If so how does it compare to the internal dac AK4490?

I currently own a Jotunheim and have picked up an Sennheiser HD700 for a good price. I am not too thrilled with the sound pairing between the Jot and the hd700 and am considering joining the hype train and snagging a THX AAA 789 if people think that that pairs better.

Let me know :)

May 21, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 4
Picked up a SMSL SU-8 Dac from Massdrop, I was wondering if anyone has paired it with a Jotunheim? If so how does it compare to the internal dac AK4490?

I currently own a Jotunheim and have picked up an Sennheiser HD700 for a good price. I am not too thrilled with the sound pairing between the Jot and the hd700 and am considering joining the hype train and snagging a THX AAA 789 if people think that that pairs better.

Let me know :)
Sorry if I’m understanding incorrectly you have a SU-8 and a Jotunheim and how they sound or are you waiting on the SU-8 and want to know if it is better than the stock Jot dac ? I get that you don’t like the 700’s with the Jot and I must say that I haven’t heard the 798 with the 700’s bit have heard it is a bit on the bright side so don’t think it would be great with the 700’s but I could be wrong.

May 22, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Sorry if I’m understanding incorrectly you have a SU-8 and a Jotunheim and how they sound or are you waiting on the SU-8 and want to know if it is better than the stock Jot dac ? I get that you don’t like the 700’s with the Jot and I must say that I haven’t heard the 798 with the 700’s bit have heard it is a bit on the bright side so don’t think it would be great with the 700’s but I could be wrong.

Yes, Current Setup
Jot+Internal Dac+HD700

Not loving the sound currently.

I heard good reviews on the SU-8 so I picked one up from Massdrop and was wondering what AMP would be a good pairing with it.

May 22, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 4
Yes, Current Setup
Jot+Internal Dac+HD700

Not loving the sound currently

Barring really badly designed DACs (and even on somewhat crappy devices with no real line out your main problem is noise and some hit in the imaging) it's always the headphone first and the amp second when determining the sound.

I heard good reviews on the SU-8 so I picked one up from Massdrop and was wondering what AMP would be a good pairing with it.

I personally would have either replaced the HD700 (maybe with an LCD-2C) first, followed by just getting an AudioGD NFB-28 and skipped the SU-8 altogether since that one has a decent DAC.

But if you can't cancel that order then maybe try the Matrix HPA-3B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back