Stylus Damage?
May 15, 2002 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

secretagent44

Head-Fier
I recently refitted an old turntable with a new belt and am now trying out some old vinyl. I was wondering if there is any way to tell if my stylus is damaged by the sound it makes. The highs are very very screechy, but that could easily be caused by the age of the LP's, I'm guessing. The cartridge is an old Grado F-3+, does anyone know what that would be in the new colored Grado scheme? I guess my question is, should I just go ahead and pick up a new cartridge (AT 311?) because I might be damaging the records, or wait until I can find some better condition vinyl to eliminate that variable and see how it sounds?

May 16, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 4
Go for the AT311.

The stylus could be dirty, damaged, or old. The suspension in the stylus does not last more than a year or two. Then you could be damaging your records.

As far as your records go, they won't screech unless recorded that way. They won't age that way. They can be worn or damaged.

I don't like Grado Cartridges. My opinion. I have tried them.

May 16, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 4
STOP NOW!!!!!!!

you are damaging your records man!You need a new stylus.It makes my skin crawl just thinking about that noise,i know it well and it has cost me.

May 16, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 4
many people, including me, like grado cartridges very much. they have a very natural, easy-to-listen-to presentation. i've owned six, and now have the reference sonata. but the cheap ones are also nice -sounding. just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back