Styleaudio TOPAZ Vs Corda Cantate for HD 650
Jun 19, 2009 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

meta21

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

This is my 1st post
L3000.gif

Currently I get my music from my PC with HD 595. My collections most are Alternative, Blues, Rock to Metal, including AC/DC, Alanis Morissette, Black Sabbath, Bob Seger, Dire Straits, Eric Clapton, Led Zappelin, Neil Young, Pink Floyd, Santana ... ect; Some class with Pavarotti...

I'm from Melbourne, Australia. We don't have the luxury to choice many different DAC/Headphone amps as the members from the State or UK. I have my eyes on Styleaudio TOPAZ and Corda Cantate from oz dealers. I order a HD 650 and need an DAC/Amp to drive it. My budget is about $500 (or A$700).

Which DAC/Amps I should get?

Thanks

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm currently using the Arietta to power my HD650's, and the sound is quite good. Although, this IS my first amp, so I have no basis for comparison. My general impression from reading these forums is the cantante performs a fair amount better than the arietta (With HD650's), and with a DAC included, you can't exactly go wrong.

It seems like it would be an excellent amp for the asking price.

Oh, and build quality is top notch with Dr.Meier's amps.

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 10
Congrats!!

Don't forget to a) wait at least 150 hours of play for the amp to sound as intended. I found the differences in my arietta to be quite dramatic from first impressions to post burn-in. The arietta sounded pretty good out of the box, but *much* better after 200 hours. (That goes for the hd650's as well. Mine took about 200 hours to burn in). b) Give us impressions!

Enjoy your new toy!!

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 10
Just have my Corda Cantate today; and the HD650 has already burn-in just over 100 hours.

I can't wait for the Corda Cantate burn-in and listen Neil Diamond's 'Hot August Night'. What a heaven! I almost cry!!

I can't wait for the 200 hours burn-in with the amp & HD650.

Many many thanks for eroarex, DarKu and Monago from deep of my heart
beerchug.gif

I try CX500 and HD595 with the amp, they all become far too pale and I can't listen to them any more. Now I can understand why members sell the headphone!

Jun 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by meta21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just have my Corda Cantate today; and the HD650 has already burn-in just over 100 hours.

I can't wait for the Corda Cantate burn-in and listen Neil Diamond's 'Hot August Night'. What a heaven! I almost cry!!

I can't wait for the 200 hours burn-in with the amp & HD650.

Many many thanks for eroarex, DarKu and Monago from deep of my heart
beerchug.gif

I try CX500 and HD595 with the amp, they all become far too pale and I can't listen to them any more. Now I can understand why members sell the headphone!

Good for you! Dr. Meier tuned the Cantate with the Senn 600/650 in mind. Enjoy!

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 10
Congrats! Cantate.2 is really a very nice Amp with Senns and Beyers, i really liked my Aria (close to Cantate) with my Senns, very good soundstaging, good focus and pretty detailed.
After 150-200 hours of burn-in you will get a lot more detail in the music, and no more distorsion on high-gain, also i don't know why but you'll get more volume, my Aria got 15% more volume after burn-in (strange thing)
I see an DAC upgrade in the near future for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Hint: maybe Meier StageDAC?

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks all
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Hint: maybe Meier StageDAC?

I asked my daughter to try on my new toy with her favor songs. She was shock to hear far far more detail (as we all expect and 'hear it many people said the same thing before
floatsmile.png
). I have to get her a portable DAC/Amp for her notebook 1st.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back