STX + O2 = Dolby Headphone?
Feb 19, 2015 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Morph91

100+ Head-Fier
I am just wondering if it's possible to get Dolby Headphone if i connect the O2 to the STX through the RCA connections on the STX. I have purchased a 3.5 jack to 2x RCA cable and i'm not sure if this would work. I have asked this question before but have heard it wouldn't work since then. The STX has a high output impedance of 10 and i am considering making a purchase of some lower impedance cans such as the Philips Fidelio X2. The STX drives my Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 nicely but i don't think it would drive the X2 well. I have heard the O2 is a better amp than the one in the STX and that there will be no interference because the O2 would obviously be external. This way if i was to purchase the O2 i could be spontaneous between amplifiers if i made a purchase of something like the Sennheiser HD 650 down the line. I just need to know how to still get Dolby Headphone if i was to use the O2 and is the cable i have purchased the right one for the job? I have got used to listening to my music through Dolby Headphone 95% of the time apart from when i am checking sets i have made.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Morph.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 10
I don't think the Dolby Headphone feature works through the STX RCA outputs. Just the STX headphone output, but not sure (been a while since I owned it).

You can test it yourself without the O2. To use the RCA jacks, you have to switch the output on the Xonar control panel to speakers. Is the Dolby Headphone option still available in that mode?

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 10
It is indeed. If i use the headphone socket is that not double amping? And what cable would i need to connect STX to the O2? And would i be able to control the volume on my computer still if i used the O2 with the STX?

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 10
  I am just wondering if it's possible to get Dolby Headphone if i connect the O2 to the STX through the RCA connections on the STX. I have purchased a 3.5 jack to 2x RCA cable and I'm not sure if this would work. I have asked this question before but have heard it wouldn't work since then. The STX has a high output impedance of 10 and i am considering making a purchase of some lower impedance cans such as the Philips Fidelio X2. The STX drives my Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 nicely but i don't think it would drive the X2 well. I have heard the O2 is a better amp than the one in the STX and that there will be no interference because the O2 would obviously be external. This way if i was to purchase the O2 i could be spontaneous between amplifiers if i made a purchase of something like the Sennheiser HD 650 down the line. I just need to know how to still get Dolby Headphone if i was to use the O2 and is the cable i have purchased the right one for the job? I have got used to listening to my music through Dolby Headphone 95% of the time apart from when i am checking sets i have made.

The STX's RCA outputs will not work with the STX's Dolby Headphone feature.
But plugging the 30-Ohm Philips X2 directly into the STX's headphone jack should work fairly well, I'm guessing at most is you might get is a very slightly louder bass
I used 32-Ohm AKG K550 and 40-Ohm Audio Technica ATH-A900X plugged into a Essence STX and was fine with the sound
I'm assuming your using the Dolby feature for FPS gaming and movies, so while FPS gaming your going to be too buzy to notice the slight bass change.
You can get an external headphone amplifier, with a very low output impedance (O2) for when your deep into listening to music.
I use to keep my O2 plugged into my STX for listening to music.
The FiiO E11K ($60) is cheaper, has a very low output impedance and can easily drive just about any headphone.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the reply. Is there any software as good as Dolby Headphone? I would just love to run a good amp like the O2 through the STX to still receive Dolby Headphone. I don't know what else to do because i had the Fidelio X1 with the STX and i'm sure it making the bass of the X1 distorted and lazy sounding past a certain volume. I listen to music through Dolby Headphone and i use my PS4 for gaming, that might sound strange but Dolby Headphone is something i like with my music, it makes it live sounding and seems to give the good quality files a kick.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 10
There's an alternative if you are really getting into the hobby. Sell the STX. Buy the Asus Xonar DG or DGX which has Dolby Headphone and is cheap. Get an external optical DAC (not USB) + headphone amp. An optical DAC can still use the DSP of the sound card (like Dolby Headphone) when it's connected to the sound card, but gives you all the benefits of the external DAC.

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the reply. Is there any software as good as Dolby Headphone? I would just love to run a good amp like the O2 through the STX to still receive Dolby Headphone. I don't know what else to do because i had the Fidelio X1 with the STX and I'm sure it making the bass of the X1 distorted and lazy sounding past a certain volume. I listen to music through Dolby Headphone and i use my PS4 for gaming, that might sound strange but Dolby Headphone is something i like with my music, it makes it live sounding and seems to give the good quality files a kick.

Guess you could try plugging the O2 into the STX's headphone jack, see what effect doubling amping might cause (it might work fine).
You could also sell off the Essence STX and use a Asus Xonar DX sound card (used is fine), with an external headphone amplifier (O2 or E11K) plugged into the DX.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 10
  What cable would i need to connect the O2 to the STX II's Headphone jack then? There are no RCA ports on this tiny O2 unit.

So it a STX II (not original STX).
a 1/4 (stereo) male plug to 3.5mm male plug adapter cable would work

Users who are viewing this thread

Back