Sturdy phones for commuting $100-200
Aug 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

EMDash

New Head-Fier
I have a knack for breaking the left-side cable at the 'phone on IEMs - in the past few years I've gone through two pairs of Etymotic er-6i, a Fischer Audio DBA-02, a Yamaha EPH-100, and now I think the pair of Beats headphones that came with my old HTC Rezound phone. I don't think I'm that hard on them, but the proof suggests otherwise.

I was using a Fiio e11, but I managed to trash the headphone jack. So now I have the e12 that I hope will last a bit longer (also, I bought it from an authorized dealer this time). 

I use these phones primarily when commuting on the train. I mostly listen to podcasts and Audible books, but also classic rock and alternative. I'm a drummer so I like a good amount of bass, though I think "bass-head" may be too strong a term.

It seems the Shure SE215, the GR-07, and another pair of EPH-100s fit the bill. I loved the soundstage and separation on the EPH-100, but I'm hesitant to buy a $150+ headphone since there's a good chance I'm going to need to replace them. I'd prefer IEMs because I think the people with full-on cans on the train look silly, but I'm considering full-size over-ear so maybe they'll last awhile. 

Suggestions? Thanks!

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 5
The cable on the gr07mkii is amazing and the jack is very strong. 130$ is the cheapest you will find ATM I believe.

Alternatively vsonic came out with the vsd1 that looks to have similar design but I haven't tried them myself. They are much cheaper though. Only thing I would be wary of is the fact that they are a little less isolating than a deep insertion iem such as the eph100..but that one has one flimsy ass cable!

Where is your cable breaking at? The connection with the housing?

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 5
I really liked the gr07 and received mine after the yams. I thought they were a much better value, even having paid 50$ more for them than the yamahas. Disregarding price, i thought the build just on another level and personally the sound was out of this world. I had to sell mine due to an uncommon fit issue but when I went back to the eph100 it just wasn't the same..like "meh". Anyways that's according to my ears you may have other tastes.

Another alternative I would consider is the Miles Davis trumpet. It looks like the eph100, but the cord looks much more solid. It's at the same price point but the good catch is there is a one-time lifetime replacement warranty. I think the sound signature is a bit different (v-shaped??). You can find comparisons between the two if you look over the eph100 review by joker.

Aug 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, the Beats are dead (but lasted me quite some time, relatively speaking). And after one commute with my girl's borrowed, craptastic JLABs, I ordered the GR07s from Amazon, next day shipping. Hoping I get them in the office in time for the commute home.

Thanks for the insight stevenlongs, I'll let you know what I think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back