Stupid Tube Amp Question
Jul 5, 2005 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Julz

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I've got me a glowy ASL amp coming. Now, I've read with relish all the threads and newbie FAQS about tube amps but the answer to one question still eludes me... I leave my Creek on all the time, whenever I want, she's ready to rock, or jazz, or whatever. As tubes have a limited life, can I assume that leaving a tube amp on all the time is not recommended ? Also, I read somewhere that someone switches on their amp 1/2 hour to let it warm up before playing music...
confused.gif

J

Jul 5, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 5
you are correct... it is not recommend to leave a tube amp on. The tubes get nice and hot and it is not a good idea to leave them unattended. Also it does take the tubes some time to fully warm up, kind of like a car, you can listen when you first turn it on but it will take a few min to reach its best opperation.

Jul 5, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 5
For small signal tubes, it's really not very dangerous to keep it running unattended. It will consume tube life though. On the other hand, power cylcing (on/off) is the hardest on the tubes, so you definitely want to limit power cycling. Also, tubes require a few minutes to work themselves up to operating specs. They will start producing music in the first 10 seconds or so, but give them at least 5 minutes to warm up for best sonics. I generally keep my tube gear on if there is any chance I will be listening to it in the next 2 hours. Many people keep tube preamps on indefinitely, and your tube headamp is in the same category.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Len
I generally keep my tube gear on if there is any chance I will be listening to it in the next 2 hours.

i use the same strategy. regarding warm up time, when i turn my singlepower on for the first time i leave to do some small errand, brew a pot of coffee or take a smoke break, and usually the amp is ready to go when i get back.

Jul 6, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 5
thanks for you input, guys...

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back