Stupid thing about IE
Apr 30, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #16 of 21
I crash firefox all the time. Although I suspect it is the Acrobat plugin's fault. I open about 15-20 pdfs per day and sometimes I can't be arsed to right+click+save as so I just open them up in the browser. Every once in a while I get a nice error message and firefox crashes.

By the way, i use firefox and have been using mozilla ever since I got flash working properly, about a year ago. I keep IE around because 1)you can't totally uninstall it and 2)windows update is handy.

Apr 30, 2004 at 8:22 AM Post #17 of 21
Actually, you can completely un-install IE. A friend of mine did. It involves much registry hacking, but it can be done. Although I agree, I keep it around for Windows Update. Hopefully Longhorn has dumped WU and gone to apt-get...
biggrin.gif

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:08 AM Post #18 of 21
I guess this is pushing me one step closer to getting a Mozilla software browser to replace MSIE. Which, BTW, I do hate so.

Apr 30, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoner
Or don't install Acrobat Reader 6. It's trash. Install 5 instead. 6 loads a ton of crap plug-ins that have no reason to be there in the 1st place and aren't even associated w/ the pdf you're reading.

Alleluya. Thanks. At least someone else has noticed what a pig Reader 6 is. I thought I was the only one!

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #20 of 21
I have Acrobat Professional, which makes it a little better, but also a little worse. When I have time, I'll look into somehow making the browser plugin not use so many resources.

Apr 30, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II
I crash firefox all the time. Although I suspect it is the Acrobat plugin's fault. I open about 15-20 pdfs per day and sometimes I can't be arsed to right+click+save as so I just open them up in the browser. Every once in a while I get a nice error message and firefox crashes.

As I said before, if you usually "right+click+save" to open PDFs, just uncheck "PDF" in "Tools -> Options -> Downloads -> Plugins". FireFox will then do a "right+click+save+open Acrobat" automatically for you whenever you click on a PDF file. This will totally eliminate the crashes you're getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back