Stupid Question
Feb 6, 2004 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Shurenuff

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I know there is no such thing as a dumb question, but here's my attempt. How is a source (CD player) affected by an amp sound quality wise? Does the amp and the CD player "blend" together (ex. dark amp and bright source creates a more balanced sound) and produce a new sound? I'm assuming the answer to this question is yes but I need a little confirmation. Also, which component typically influences the sound characteristics more (or is it usually equal?). Alright, I now officially feel like an idiot.
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 10
No, it's not a stupid question. Yes, you are correct.

The degree of change would depend on the specific amp or source. Super tubey warm amp like the MGhead (with certain tubes) will make just about any source sound warm and syrupy.

I think most people try to get as "neutral" a source/amp as possible. Although, starting with a neutral source and even amp, you'll have more control over what kind of sound you want down the line. It really is a mix bag. What I try to do is get to the kinda sound that I like by mixing components and then fine tuning it with things like cables (IC,PC) and even stabilizers like different cones. And don't forget tube rolling if you use tube components.

Feb 6, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 10
You have asked a valid question. If you don't ask, nobody is likely to tell you.
Lots of people use a "dark" or "warm" amplifier to tame an over-bright CD player or pair of speakers. the reverse scenario is also true. Personally I try to stay away from components that are obviously tonally deficient. I don't always succeed, having bought a pair of B&W Matrix 805's and then buying a Bryston 3B-ST. All great components, but both just a little bright sounding. I'm much happier with what I have now, and I feel that each piece is the most neutral and balanced sounding piece of its' type that I've ever owned. Considering what I've spent on gear over the years, I had better have learned something about selecting components.
Then again, some of our members would listen to my system and hate the sound...
wink.gif

Cheers,

Graham

Feb 6, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the helpful replies everyone!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
This will vary from system to system. In my headphone system the amplifier has always played a larger roll than the differences in Compact Disc players.

Don't you have a CD3000? That's the exact full sized can I want for my future home system. I'm almost positive that I'll get an Emmeline XP-7 (for its combination of great sound and versatility). I'm just having a difficult time picking a source for this system that will complement the CD3000's and XP-7. My two strongest canidates are the modified Music Hall CD-25 ($870) and the modified Jolida JD-100 ($1240). I've heard very good things about this CD-25 (sounds like a better value than the JD-100) but I wonder if the Jolida's warmer sound would better complement the CD3000's. I guess I'll never know until I try both of these out, which I don't think will happen. Anyone with any input on this?

Feb 6, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 10
Stay as close to neutral as you can. By using components with different tonal signatures youre just masking one deficiency with another and you'll forever be fixing these differences with power cords, interconnects, speakers cables, etc. These accessories are ok for making minor changes to the sound but not fixing obvious deficiencies.

Feb 6, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #8 of 10
Quality of source will impact sound more. You'd be better off outsepending on a source over an amp.

Feb 7, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Quality of source will impact sound more. You'd be better off outsepending on a source over an amp.

So what player would you guys recommend for the CD3000 and XP-7? Just because the the modded Jolida is almost $400 more than the modded Music Hall doesn't guarantee that it would be the best match for this set-up or the best sounding player, right? Which would you choose, the more warm, tubed Jolida or the more neutral (I think) Music Hall?

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 10
I dont have a modded unit but the mods to the Music Hall are supposed to warm it up a bit. I know the MH is somewhat bright and it may be exacerbated by the 3K but I think its a great player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back