Stupid Question
Mar 3, 2006 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Outono Noite

New Head-Fier
I do not have money for an amplifier, but I have narrowed my headphone choices down to the DT880, HD650, and the K701. Without an amplifier, which headphone provides the best sound (plugged into a laptop, ipod, etc...).

I have read nearly every thread comparing these three, but there are very few messages on these discussing the affects with or without amps relative to one another.

Tastes: Electronic, Ambient, Indie Rock, Jazz

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 14
generally headphones that have a high impedance rating are more difficult to drive, resulting in low volumes even when the volume is set to max on an ipod... you could try looking for a lower impedance can that CAN be driven out of an ipod or other similar sources...

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 14
If you don't intend to buy an amplifier I'd recommend you have a look at Grado phones and various IEM's.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 14
lots of audio-technica cans also dont need an amp

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 14
In the future I fully intend to pick up an amp, the only problem is that I am in college and it is very difficult to find the extra cash to nail a Gilmore Lite or Rockhopper M3.

I have had my eye on the AKG K701 for a while now and I was really hoping it would sound great even without the amp. Has anyone had any experience running the K701 without an amp? I can only hope it sounds awesome...

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outono Noite
In the future I fully intend to pick up an amp, the only problem is that I am in college and it is very difficult to find the extra cash to nail a Gilmore Lite or Rockhopper M3.

I have had my eye on the AKG K701 for a while now and I was really hoping it would sound great even without the amp. Has anyone had any experience running the K701 without an amp? I can only hope it sounds awesome...

Don't do it. The K701 is wickedly hard to drive. You're really not going to get NEARLY enough even in terms of volume (and volume is different than proper amplification, mind you) from these. Sometimes the Ohm rating isn't a good indication of what it takes to drive a headphone... swapping between the 701 and the HD650 I had to crank the volume up for the 701 a good deal. It was Stevio's headphone, and he said that it had been burned in 400+ hours already. He also mentioned that it became MORE efficient through the burnout process, meaning that even at this hard to drive state they were HARDER to drive earlier on.

The HD650's a much better phone unamped than the 880 or 701, but it still certainly is helped by amplification a great deal.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Outono Noite
I do not have money for an amplifier, but I have narrowed my headphone choices down to the DT880, HD650, and the K701. Without an amplifier, which headphone provides the best sound (plugged into a laptop, ipod, etc...).

I have read nearly every thread comparing these three, but there are very few messages on these discussing the affects with or without amps relative to one another.

Tastes: Electronic, Ambient, Indie Rock, Jazz

I'm in a similar position. To buy an amp first or Hi-fi Headphone first? I think I will buy the amp first though.

What headphones do you have now?

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
I'm in a similar position. To buy an amp first or Hi-fi Headphone first? I think I will buy the amp first though.

What headphones do you have now?

I'd say get a Hi-Fi headphone first, and then get an amp shortly after. Except, possibly the K701. It's just too hard to drive, from what I tried on various amps.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 14
Haha! Im debating whether or not to get the amp or the phones first! I have a pretty nice stereo that I believe would have a lot better input source than my computer/ipod/any other object I currently own and I was hoping I could run my AKG through that until I saved up enough money to purchase an amp - but from that looks of what everyone is saying, I may as well snag an amp first (probably in the used section here) and pray that my 21st birthday (sept) will bring me some money (come on Vegas/Atlantic City!).

Since I am a Newb to all of this, I am a little in the dark to powering a set of phones. As I mentioned above, I have my eye on the M3 and the Gilmore Lite simply because the price is right (I cant go over 300-ish) and I know the sound quality is def. there. Do any of you have any recommendations on which amp would work the best with the AKG - any experiences?

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 14
Just be honest with yourself in figuring out what you're looking for. If you are sure you're going to get an amp in the very near future, I'd say pick up one of these 3 headphones. They are really the top 3 under $1000, and I personally like them even better than some that are over $1000 (haven't heard any electrostats yet, so I can't compare). So if you were getting an amp soon, get one of these -- they won't sound great until you get an amp, but you will then have a top of the line headphone.

If you're not sure about getting an amp, there are some great headphones that will sound better than these three unamped, and sound almost as good amped. I'd look at HD595, Grado 325i, and audio-technica ad2000.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 14
What if you get the DT880's or hd580/600 or k601 (which all are priced less) and use the difference to buy a small headphone amp. I am sure this would sound far better than underpowering those better cans and you could sell the amp in the future if you want to upgrade again.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 14
I have thought about getting a lower-end can and using the left-over money for the amp, but I am so critical about the music I listen to, it would be hard for me to be satisfied knowing that I could have had a pair of headphones (with a significant increase in quality) for only a little more. I used to be big on recording music (sold my entire set up) and have always been obsessed with my stereo system - itll be very difficult to find a lower end pair that can satiate my desire for sound quality.

Given my financial situation, it makes a whole lot more sense to do what you suggest. ::sigh:: - one never has enough money for toys!

I shouldnt be complaining - im not married so I dont have to put up with the nagging and bills
tongue.gif
but being in college has its own set of BS.

Thanks a lot for all of your help guys - Ill be sure to do a little more research into the lower-end heaphones and see if I can pull an amp out the excess money!

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 14
I use my HD650 out of my Pioneer stereo for games all the time, and that seems to drive it fairly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back