Stupid question...
Jan 25, 2005 at 8:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aeriyn

Headphoneus Supremus
Are hammond extruded aluminum cases conductive? I tested the little one I'm going to put my CMoy into, and it's showing infinite resistance. But is that just the coating, or is it that way all the way through?

And, best way to isolate the input minijack of my CMoy would be what (if the case is conductive)? I can't use the same method I did with my pimeta, the jack is too small.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Are hammond extruded aluminum cases conductive? I tested the little one I'm going to put my CMoy into, and it's showing infinite resistance. But is that just the coating, or is it that way all the way through?

And, best way to isolate the input minijack of my CMoy would be what (if the case is conductive)? I can't use the same method I did with my pimeta, the jack is too small.

The metal in the case is conductive. The edges of holes you drill will conduct.

You could go for a plastic paneled Hammond. They obviously won't conduct and are easier to work with.

Alternatively just buy an insulated 3.5mm jack. Mouser sells them. The Pimeta in my profile shows them.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #3 of 4
Also, is this Cmoy wall powered or something? If so you could just get an isolated powered jack. If not the you should be fine.

There isn't the need for with the CMOY to seperate input and output grounds like with the Pimeta.

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:45 AM Post #4 of 4
The anodized aluminum isn't conductive, and it's fairly tough, but it's possible to scratch through it to the pure aluminum underneath it. So, always treat it like it could be conductive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back