Stupid iPod Question
Mar 2, 2009 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
If I were to remove some songs from my iTunes library (and subsequently delete them from my hard drive altogether) and then re-rip the song, would iTunes replace the old songs with the new songs when I sync up my iPod?

I ask because I just bought the non-remastered version of "The Number of the Beast" and I plan on removing the songs ripped from the remastered version from my iTunes library and deleting them. I'm then going to rip the non-remastered version. So when I sync up my iPod, will the remastered versions be replaced with the non-remastered versions?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance. I'm a total iPod noob.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 13
Depending on how you have your settings, it would get rid of the old song because you're syncing iTunes with the iPod and put the new songs in. So it's replacing, but not by overwriting.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 13
If you want to be 100% sure, put your iPod in manual sync mode, and delete the songs from your iPod yourself. After that, delete the songs from your library, then, put the iPod back in auto-sync mode, disconnect it, re-rip and re-connect it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to be 100% sure, put your iPod in manual sync mode, and delete the songs from your iPod yourself. After that, delete the songs from your library, then, put the iPod back in auto-sync mode, disconnect it, re-rip and re-connect it
smily_headphones1.gif

Do I change the sync settings in iTunes?

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I change the sync settings in iTunes?

When you connect the iPod and it pops up in iTunes, you should see a bunch of options in the main iPod window (if you don't, click on your iPod device in iTunes to bring these up) and one of them refers to manual sync. Once done, you can expand the iPod Device from the left menu to show "Music", click on this, browse down until you find the album, select the songs and delete them.

I would post screenshots but I'm at work (shhh, don't tell anyone :p )

Edit : If you're not comfortable doing this, delete the songs from your library, sync the iPod, which should make iTunes remove the songs from your iPod too. Then disconnect the iPod after it synced, re-rip, and re-sync.

Mar 2, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 13
If it is the same songs, the latest itunes will automaticallly replace them, when you try to rip them (i guess if u used iTunes to rip them in the first place)

you can sync either "manually" or "automatically" self explanatory really.

Mar 2, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #10 of 13
It should work just fine... but I've had a couple issues where using the exact same folder and song name do cause problems. Specifically when I find I have a rip that's bad and I go to re-rip the song.

Anyway, my work around is to delete, sync, rip, sync. Doing it that way I've never had a problem... but delete, rip, sync seems to be hit or miss.

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 13
Yeah, but only if its set to automatically sync your library to the iPod.
Not if you have decided to manually manage your iPod.

Mar 2, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the songs aren't technically the same. It's the same album, but 2 different CDs (one is remastered, the other is not).

I dont see any issues here, just rip the remastered one if thats the one you want to listen to, they should have different CDMA tags (diferent year etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back