Stupid iPod - Micro Headroom Amp/DAC Question...
May 26, 2006 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Major

New Head-Fier
First off, i'm a noob...there i said it. Not ashame of it. When you're new, lost, and need all the help in the world, ask as many questions as you can even if it's the most idiotic ones. Better to know than not know at all. Well here's mine...lol.

I have just recently purchased the Micro Headroom Amp/DAC. The headphone i'm using are my new AKG 701 and old Grado 325. This is my very FIRST amp. When using my iPod Nano, i hook the iPod thru the headphone jack to the amp's line input. I tried hooking it to the Dac's optical/coaxial digital Input - DAC's line output - Amp's line input - to headphone but i'm not getting any sound. Any reason why this doesn't work when it does with my PC's Digital Output card? And does it make a difference if i'm just using the Amp rather than the Amp+Dac combo? Do i even need a DAC? Sorry if i'm rambling on. Hope anyone can explain this to me.

Also, i just stumbled upon the AudioLineOut cables. Is the sound quality better coming out from the dock end of the iPod than the headphone jack? Really lost now...help.

May 26, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 13
you dont' need the dac....
several things could be going on...the grain might not be set right, since it requires different grain for low power units like a grado and higher for something like a K701. The battery might not be in right/charged.... the cable's direction may need to be switched...
Jamey and Tyll from headroom are members and they should be able to help you...just find them and PM them.

May 26, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 13
Major,

The MicroDAC input that you are trying to use is expecting either a coaxial or optical input. Your iPod is giving out an analog output. Therefore, you will need to hook your iPod directly to the line input of the MicroAmp, and bypass the MicroDAC completely. I hope this makes sense to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

-V

May 26, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 13
As the others have said as well but to clarify:

1. The microdac is for connecting to a device with a digital output (it takes either an optical [mini-toslink connector], or coax [mono 3.5mm plug - you may need a convertor between rca>mon 3.5mm).

2. Ipod best to use the lineout via a dock connector such as the one you mention

3. If using headphone out set ipod volume fairly high (around 95% if I recall correctly) then adjust volume on microamp to suit

4. The gain setting (not grain
tongue.gif
) set to low at first, then try medium or high. Basically some headphones such as in ear ones (IEMs) need the low settting or the volume will blast your brains out. Some heaphones such as the Senn 650s need the high setting as they are harder to drive.

5. The microdac is a nice little unit. You could connect a CD player or even DVD player up to it using the optical/digital out to the microdac input and then connect the microamp. Something to compare your Ipod output with.

6. Noobs - we were all one once.

Welcome to head-fi sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
you dont' need the dac....
several things could be going on...the grain might not be set right, since it requires different grain for low power units like a grado and higher for something like a K701. The battery might not be in right/charged.... the cable's direction may need to be switched...
Jamey and Tyll from headroom are members and they should be able to help you...just find them and PM them.

Is that, like, whole wheat grain? Or processed grain?
icon10.gif

I think he meant to write "gain". :)

May 26, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328
Major,

The MicroDAC input that you are trying to use is expecting either a coaxial or optical input. Your iPod is giving out an analog output. Therefore, you will need to hook your iPod directly to the line input of the MicroAmp, and bypass the MicroDAC completely. I hope this makes sense to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

-V

The mini-digital coax/optical is unfortunately a 3.5mm connection, the same as an analogue mini-jack. So it would fit but its not the right signal at all, manufacturers should have made the mini-digital connection a completely different size.

Bypassing a $300 piece of gear is not the best idea. You can get optical-outs on some cheap soundcards.
The iRiver H120/40 is the only DAP to my knowledge with a digital-out?

May 26, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 13
iPod doesn't have a digital out, so you don't need your DAC for iPod use.

Most soundcards have a digital out, and there's where your DAC comes in handy.

May 26, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Major
Is using the DAC with the Amp that much better?

depends if you use a high quality cable between the dac and the amp. if you use $25 cardas or less, you likely will not hear much difference

May 26, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #11 of 13
Depends on how good the DAC in your soundcard is. I actually preferred the analog out from my modded Emu 404 and returned the Micro DAC.

May 26, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Major
I'm am using the cardas cable to connect the two :/
Should i be using the AudioLineOut cables to connect the Amp/Dac/iPod?

Use the cardas cable to connect the Micro Amp to the Ipod. "Line out" in the amp to the headphone jack in the ipod. Turn the volume up about 3/4 of the way up in the ipod. Since there's no optical out in the Ipod (which you need to connect to the DAC), the Micro DAC cannot be included with this set-up. Do you have a computer soundcard with an optical out?

Edit: unless you have a line out with the dock of the Ipod, then use that instead of the headphone jack. Sorry, I have a Sony NW-HD5 with a built-in line out in the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back