Stupid Discman Question: D-777 and D-E01
Jan 22, 2003 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

krayzie

500+ Head-Fier
Okay I've dug through old threads and still can't find the answer to my questions so I'll post it here...

First of all, if you plug in the newer remotes onto the D-777 would the volume buttons work? Yes you read that right, buttons and not the dial... cuz I just received my new D-777 remote and it's very pretty (oh btw, eliminated my hiss problem with the main jack earlier, it's so clean off the remote), but thought I could have bought the D-E01 remote instead but that has digital volume buttons...

Second question, how exactly does the D-E01 slot-in mechanism work? Can something gimme a think a-loud description to this? I always wonder if the CD gets motorized in and out like a car's headunit...

Third question, so the D-777 do have an auto-eq system as I can always hear the first distorted heavy bass note and the subsequent clean heavy bass notes... but is it track by track or disc by disc? It seems like either one or the other but I can't really tell...

And if I put the D-777 against the D-E01 in a boxing rink match, who would come out being the champ? or would it be a tie as they have their own specialities...

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 7
I can explain the D-EJ01 slot loading thing since I own one...it's not like a car cd player where it eats it in. It's actually this circular locking mechanism that goes into the hole of a cd when it's inserted half way. As you push it in fast the half way point, you can feel the cd and the locking mechanism pushing against a spring. Half way pushing it in with the spring forcing against it, the spring somehow acts like it flipped and the locking thing eats the disc in (you hear this sliding then click sound) where this small gate closes the cd player opening. To get the cd out, there's this silver tab on the right where you flip up and pull down straight. This does the same action I mentioned before but backwards. When it spits it out the cd is still half inserted where you slide it out your self. Non of this is done by a motor, but instead physically by your hand and the help of the spring like lock. It's kind of a messy explaination, but that's the general idea of it.

Jan 23, 2003 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 7
hey krayzie! i'm glad your hiss problem went away.
wink.gif

i've tried the eyeball remote that came with my D-EJ915 on my D-777, and it doesn't work. actually, as i remember it, only the play and stop buttons work. nothing else works (backlit lcd, volume, play mode, repeat, etc). i'm not sure about the D-EJ01's remote, but both players are from the same generation. i say stick with your new remote. btw, what phones are you using with the remote, it only accepts that dreaded sony microplug, doesn't it?
mad.gif

cheers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks soupy,
It solves the mystery in some pictures on the Net as to why the circle thing at the window is still there with the CD half-way in already... I first thought that's the lens assembly and that the window must be some fake hologram image LOL!

Hey Bong,
Good to hear that I didn't waste $106 CAD on the D-777 remote... actually I kinda like the thin profile of it, pretty neat! All it needs is a backlit and it'll be perfect! I almost ordered the D-E01 remote for $6 bucks more until I realized the volume button is digital and I didn't take the chance...

I'm using my rarely used MDR-E888MP at the moment, still very bright so I guess it needs to be used more... the weird thing as I've said time after time on the board b4 is that my gold color MDR-E888LP has really good bass like a MDR-E472 but not exactly as heavy... really really weird stuff...

Jan 24, 2003 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by soupy
I can explain the D-EJ01 slot loading thing since I own one...it's not like a car cd player where it eats it in. It's actually this circular locking mechanism that goes into the hole of a cd when it's inserted half way. As you push it in fast the half way point, you can feel the cd and the locking mechanism pushing against a spring. Half way pushing it in with the spring forcing against it, the spring somehow acts like it flipped and the locking thing eats the disc in (you hear this sliding then click sound) where this small gate closes the cd player opening. To get the cd out, there's this silver tab on the right where you flip up and pull down straight. This does the same action I mentioned before but backwards. When it spits it out the cd is still half inserted where you slide it out your self. Non of this is done by a motor, but instead physically by your hand and the help of the spring like lock. It's kind of a messy explaination, but that's the general idea of it.

That's a really good description - pretty much explains why it apparently scratches CD's like crazy...

Jan 24, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 7
AFAIK, Sony remotes are not interchangeable except for the newer models. I once tried plugging my D-777 remote into my D-515 (and vice versa), but nothing worked other than the volume dial, which is a local analog volume pot. Plugging a D-E01 remote into a D-777 would give you nothing more than a pretty headphone extension. On the other hand, the D-777 remote could still control volume no matter what you plug it into.

Another interesting thing is that when you plug an amp into the line-out of the D-E01, the volume function on the remote is disabled. This doesn't happen on the older models--I once went on a European trip with my then girlfriend (now wife), and brought my D-777 along with an extra pair of cheap earphones w/built in volume control. I plugged my phones into the remote and the extra phones into the line-out. Presto, we could both listen to the same player simultaneously (with one catch--volume level was lower than normal because the player has to push two outputs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back