STUPID BEATS PEOPLE
Oct 28, 2012 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ilikedonkeys39

100+ Head-Fier
so im in 7th grade and this 8th grader bought these beats studios so naturely i told him that those suck, overpriced bad quality muddy bass recessed highs and your paying for the name and they are like "sure u stupid 7th grader" like im talking complete nonsence, and i listed all the good brands (audio technica senninheiser.....ect) and gave them specific expamles that would be better and they just ignored that and said they were dollar tree brand. So i also referred them to this sight and told them to read anyhting about beats here and how they arnt good and he just said that not everything on the internet is true, so now him and all his friends are consantly picking on me cuz i think beats suck and they think they are the most amazing pieces of plastic ever!! Also one of his friends is pretty stupid; i said they have muddy bass and his friend always says "make sure your headphones dont have mud in them" WOW facepalm.... but yeah what should i do now? Or do you have any comments on this story?

i know i probobly shouldve stayed quiet but i cant

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 32
Unfortunately it's exactly what you've just said, you probably should have stayed quiet.

To address your most immediate problem, this has gone beyond being about headphones and it's now just plain bullying. Be smart report it at school, if this takes away your street cred then bite your tongue and walk away.

You need to realise that beats are all about showing off, these people don't care if the genuinely sound good. Next time offer advice only if someone comes up to you and asks.

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 32
Generally people don't like being told that they just wasted a bunch of jack, especially when they didn't solicit an opinion.

As kookoo said, you shouldn't have said anything at all. I just smile and nod my head when I see people wearing those things, and when their friends start asking about headphones, that's when I say something. You're never going to convince somebody who has already bought something that it's no good, especially if they're obviously proud of it like this kid is.

(Unfortunately, there's some of that that goes on on Head-Fi, too!)

At that point, his Beats weren't just headphones to him. They were an extension of his reputation, and to accept criticism of them, especially from somebody a year his junior, would have been a tremendous blow to his ego. He's clearly a bully, and thus extremely insecure, and that's why he reacted the way he did. It's predictable behavior.

In the long term, chalk this one up to a learning experience, and take solace in the fact that his Beats are likely to break or bug out on him long before whatever you happen to own does (if ever).

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 32
thanks for the advice and comments and yeah i know next time to stay quiet. Oh one other thing i thought was kinda funny, i said i have the v-moda lp2 which are all metal construction instead of the cheap plastic and he was like "why would you want metal????? It ways soooooo much unlike plastic which is light" hahaha......yeah ok

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #5 of 32
One thing I have learned from my past is not to be nosy about other people's stuff and do not criticize if they are not asking for it. Unless you are having a nice conversation with a friend, and for the heck of it, engage in a light debate, there should be absolutely no reason for you to be stuck up and rubbing your knowledge on to their face. Don't be one of those "Apple sucks" or "JB is gay" haters, it only makes you look more stupid. We don't want to know what he thinks about better quality headphones or how ignorant he is to facts, he just likes his Beats, and this community is here to recommend good headphones to people who want to dive into better sound, not convert the world into quality critics (at least that's how I like to see Head-Fi as a community). You still have time, be mature, ignore them, and in a few years, it will all be a laughing matter.

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 32
My policy is to tell me friends that are wearing "Beats" that they suck, if they don't listen..well... too bad. People believe in certain things and some people will believe in them no matter what. If they want the 300$ plastic necklace, let them have it and stay with it. "Beats" incidents happen to me almost every week in my school and most of the time, I just end up sucking up to the person. Think about it, you don't lose anything. You know whats good and he doesn't. Why waste your time educating someone who doesn't even try to listen?

I've had a friend of mine listen to my Grado setup and tell me beats are much better.
I've had a classmate tell me my HD-25 sounded like "its broken, I know about headphones and beats sound much better" because he plugged it into his iphone full of 128kbs music.(My audiophile friends and I ended up embarrassing him quite a bit after he listened to it on my iPod.)

Anyways...First time knowing someone younger than me on Head-Fi ( there are probably thousands of people younger than me here, but this is the first time I've seen one)

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 32
you have to realize that a lot of young people who are inexperienced sees more bass = more quality so obviously your proper headphones aren't fart cannons, so in this situation even an LCD3 won't impress them seeing they lisiten to heavily compressed modern music, saying that the bass doesn't shake their head. (and probably attack its wood appearance)
also they all have 128 kbps files, and some also rip from youtube (which was what i did many years ago before i realized the difference and got any headphones above $5)
also they think that the beats look awesome on them, so they buy it cause it looks cool. that makes it even harder for you to tackle them (you shouldn't tackle them in the first place) 
so the best thing is to just sit pretty until they come and ask you about sound quality

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:
I've had a friend of mine listen to my Grado setup and tell me beats are much better.
I've had a classmate tell me my HD-25 sounded like "its broken, I know about headphones and beats sound much better" because he plugged it into his iphone full of 128kbs music.(My audiophile friends and I ended up embarrassing him quite a bit after he listened to it on my iPod.)

It's funny how that happens. It's also funny that, paradoxically, your classmate actually could hear the difference. A proper set of headphones revealed to him that his music was of poor quality, so he blamed the instrument instead.

Your general gist is a good one. Also, you are remarkably well spoken and mature for somebody of your age (which I'm assuming by your final sentence is fairly young).

Oct 29, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
so im in 7th grade and this 8th grader bought these beats studios so naturely i told him that those suck, overpriced bad quality muddy bass recessed highs and your paying for the name and they are like "sure u stupid 7th grader" like im talking complete nonsence, and i listed all the good brands (audio technica senninheiser.....ect) and gave them specific expamles that would be better and they just ignored that and said they were dollar tree brand. So i also referred them to this sight and told them to read anyhting about beats here and how they arnt good and he just said that not everything on the internet is true, so now him and all his friends are consantly picking on me cuz i think beats suck and they think they are the most amazing pieces of plastic ever!! Also one of his friends is pretty stupid; i said they have muddy bass and his friend always says "make sure your headphones dont have mud in them" WOW facepalm.... but yeah what should i do now? Or do you have any comments on this story?

LOL!  So you went with the V-Modas? I thought you would get get the M50s.  so this kid has the Studios?  Sounds like the  delivery of your opinion hurt his feelings a bit.  Your not going to be able to talk sense into him even if you had the Ultrasone Pro 900, hes going to still say his Beats sound better to save face and look good in front of his friends.  On eway to deal with this is to find a neutral person like a teacher and ask them to demo bother headphones.  The teacher will say yours sound better (plus they are 100 less).  He'll probably say something like the teacher does not kown what they are talking about or doesn't know good sound.  They say "OK, lets find another teacher for another opinion", also ask which one they think will last longer.  Make sure his friends are there when you do this.  Another way is when he says your phones are from the dollar store or or something similiar, sk him how he knows, tell him to cite examples.  Tell him to make a thread on Head-Fi about how great Beats are.  If he says you cant believe everything on the internet tell him you'll accept that Beats are the Best if he makes a thread on Head-Fi about how great they are and Members agree with him.  If he says no, tell him he's scared.  The best way to convert people from Beats is to ask nicely to listen to there Beats like you've never listened to them say "hmm" then let them listen to yours they should hear the difference, but remember to ask NICELY because it's hard to convert people if they feel like your attacking them.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 32
Know your friends (or whoever) before giving advice.
Most will go on the defensive. Some may even show aggression. 

Its not worth it. They won't appreciate it anyways, because its unsolicited. If they have an inclination to good sound, they'll come around. Till then, you should enjoy your audio, and let others enjoy theirs.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 32
you have to realize that a lot of young people who are inexperienced sees more bass = more quality so obviously your proper headphones aren't fart cannons, so in this situation even an LCD3 won't impress them seeing they lisiten to heavily compressed modern music, saying that the bass doesn't shake their head. (and probably attack its wood appearance)

also they all have 128 kbps files, and some also rip from youtube (which was what i did many years ago before i realized the difference and got any headphones above $5)

also they think that the beats look awesome on them, so they buy it cause it looks cool. that makes it even harder for you to tackle them (you shouldn't tackle them in the first place) 

so the best thing is to just sit pretty until they come and ask you about sound quality

Apart from everyone else's information this quote above me sums up a lot of uneducated beats listeners well, and what I'd say to do.

The first thing these people listen for is bass, even adults fall victim to this marketing trick. Honestly, when they put on any headphone, they want the bass to shake their balls *literally* it's the only think they listen for,, they couldn't care less about mid range or treble, they want BASS. so when a headphone doesn't deliver they simply don't want to know about it instantly righting it off as inferior. Hence some people will never learn because the instant they put on any headphone it may not have that bloated drowning bass they immediately want to hear.

The others are right, you really shouldn't say anything to them, it's like trying to talk to a brick wall. just think in the back your head, you know your right, and you have learned very early on how to appreciate decent sound. We know you're right and they're just getting some payback because in their eye's you were putting down something that is untouchable.

There'll be a time when beats will fall, but I'm afraid they have set an ongoing trend for fashion design headphones in the future but. another company will take their place eventually.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Don't worry my friend, i did listen worst things of my friend, example there is kind of music that doesn't made for listen the details, giving me a argument, what a kind of art it is just made look a at hole. And he wanted listen a vinyl disc on a turntable with a crap amplifier and crap Loudspeaker. oh i was forget, he told me too, is more important, who and how get recording the themes before of audio quality equipment. You must ignore them, as say a proverb, the secret of the hapiness is be a ignorant.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 32
Well to the OP.... actually, i (shamefully) admit that i have owned a Beats product. That was when i was in 8th grade. I didn't get any stick whatsoever, since here in HK Beats are largely known as a thing of "prestige", something all the "cool kids" have. Obviously after joining Head Fi, i know better, and sold them. Inevitably however, when i wore my HD25's around, everybody who saw me was like "Damn those are ugly". See, to most people, headphones aren't about audio, but just generally for looking "cool". Just ignore those 8th graders, they'll either change their mind, or keep being ignorant. Watch this space LOL :) Just my $0.02

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 32
The fact that you're in 7th grade and already know what's good and what isn't is commendable. I wish I had friends like you at that age who could reason why certain things are better than others -- I would have been one of those kids in 8th grade wearing Beats headphones, because like those kids I always wanted to be "cool." I'm 25 and still learning that "cool" is all smoke and mirrors and the things in life truly worth checking out are about quality.

As others have said, just try not to put people down about their own decisions. Just help out those who are truly interested in audio and leave those who don't to live in their own cool world. We all know who the cool one is in this situation.

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 32
Am I the only one who has found the thread sadly tragic?  Not only the OP - but many of the subsequent replies.

Criticising someone's much loved headphone because you don't like it is pretty low.  It's almost as bad as critiquing their music choices.

I personally don't like rap, and am not overly big on dub - but if someone I know likes it, the last thing I'm going to do is tell them that their personal listening preferences are awful.  That is what all of this is about ...... personal preference.  To me the Studios may be overpriced, and also a bit flabby, but they're not the worst sound ever.  I can see why kids/teenagers like them - warm, bassy, look stylish to them (personally I think they look ugly).  But to launch a tirade at them, and assume your personal tastes are universal unfortunately displays (lack of) maturity.

Unfortunately OP - you've just learnt a lesson in life.  Hopefully the lesson sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back