Stupid Baseball Questions
Jul 30, 2006 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18
So, I'm primarily a hockey fan, followed by college football and basketball.

However, I'm from Detroit and so, am now following MLB a bit closer.

I watched a National League game last night and have the following questions.

1. Why do pitchers bat like they do? I've never played fastball in my life but still bet I could at least foul off a couple and look like a real player. Those pitchers just look so weird at the plate. Did you ever see Randy Johnson try to bat? Jeez what's the problem??? (see my related thread on why Brett Favre and that guy on the colts look like they're wearing dresses when not in the pocket)

2. Since the catcher is always giving the pitcher signs, is he telling him which pitch to throw? Why? This doesn't make an ounce of sense to me.

3. Why do coaches have to wear a team uniform? I swear Dusty Baker looks like an old man in his pajamas when he shuffles out to the mound. Seeing Larry Brown in a $5k suit or Charlie Weiss in a sweat shirt look so much more natural.

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_josephina
So, I'm primarily a hockey fan, followed by college football and basketball.

However, I'm from Detroit and so, am now following MLB a bit closer.

I watched a National League game last night and have the following questions.

1. Why do pitchers bat like they do? I've never played fastball in my life but still bet I could at least foul off a couple and look like a real player. Those pitchers just look so weird at the plate. Did you ever see Randy Johnson try to bat? Jeez what's the problem??? (see my related thread on why Brett Favre and that guy on the colts look like they're wearing dresses when not in the pocket)

Haha great comment. Soem pitchers are actually good hitters, examples being the now retired Mike Hampton (hit 9HR in limited appearances one year) and Josh Beckett. Basically the bottom line is that they never swing. I'm a pitcher in high school and we never hit. It's always long toss, and then when the batters hit, we run. They never practice because they only are relied on to hit once every five days, and then, are used in sacrifice situations. In the american league, pitchers don't even hit at all! I agree with you though, they do look rather stupid. I mean, I'm not the greatest hitter, but at least I look good when I strike out.

Quote:

2. Since the catcher is always giving the pitcher signs, is he telling him which pitch to throw? Why? This doesn't make an ounce of sense to me.

First, it's a complicated mix. Generally, the coach has the ultimate decision; sometimes he relays signs to the catcher. The coaching staff has notebooks and hundreds of pages of notes on each hitter and his past performances. If, for example, the coach knows that the hitter strikes out 70% of the time when thrown a curveball in an 0-2 count, if the situation arises, he may tell the catcher to tell the pitcher to throw a curveball.

For the most part though, the pitcher and catcher work together deciding on the pitch. Yes, the signs are telling the pitcher not only what pitch to throw, but also where (inside, outside, up, down). The catcher is in a much better position to notice weaknesses in the hitter's stance and swing, and also is tasked with the responsibility (along with the pitcher) of studying all information on the hitters past performance and his strenghts and weaknesses. For example, lets say that the batter has his hands wrapped too far back before his swing; the catcher notices this and realizes that he will be late on a fastball up high. So he relays this to the pitcher, who can agree to throw the pitch, or deny it with a short shake of the head. If the pitcher shakes the catcher off, the catcher thinks of another good pitch for the situation (are they trying to get a double play? Do they need a strikeout?) and gives the sign until the pitcher agrees.

A good catcher is invaluable. I was lucky enough to have one last year; when I was on my game it was like we had a telepathic link. Every pitch I wanted he called; and actually, if you are around the game long enough, you begin to get a feel for what pitch to throw when. With the aforementioned catcher, we usually agreed on the pitch 95% of the time.

Quote:

3. Why do coaches have to wear a team uniform? I swear Dusty Baker looks like an old man in his pajamas when he shuffles out to the mound. Seeing Larry Brown in a $5k suit or Charlie Weiss in a sweat shirt look so much more natural.

Tradition. There's a lot of that in baseball, for the better or worse. MLB tries ot maintain the feeling that baseball is a game not a business. Obviously it's a huge business, but somehow, it wouldn't feel right to me to see managers in suits...call me old fashioned!

Hope that helped, and I hope you enjoy and learn to appreciate the game. Remember, 90% of baseball is mental. If you actually try to follow it and realize what is going on, it's simply mind boggling at times. The mind games between the pitcher and batter, fielders and batters, managers, etc, is utterly amazing.

-Jon

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

...Charlie Weiss in a sweat shirt ...

My first thought: I can't picture him wearing a sweat shirt. My second thought: of the times I've seen him, he's so intense that I'm just trying to follow everything he's trying to say, and I couldn't tell you what he was wearing. And I can't picture Ty not in a suit, if that's saying something.

Jon--
Thanks for the explanations. I don't much understand the game, but the more I learn about it the better it is to watch.

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 18
The Tigers are very good. They have a lot of young talent, and most people would agree with me when I say they are going somewhere this year.

Pitchers never practice hitting, making it near impossible to hit MLB pitching. Until you have seen a real hard fastball from the batters box, most people dont really fully understand it. The hardest throwing guy I have hit off of is around 85 MPH, and that seemed insanely fast trying to hit it. Thinking about trying to hit one going 95 is just mind blowing.

The catcher gives the pitcher the location of the pitch and the type of pitch. The pitcher can shake it off and get new signs if he doesnt like what he gets from the catcher, and sometimes the catcher calls pitches that are given to him from the manager.

Coaches wear uniforms because........uhhh.............well, theres no real reason. I really cant imagine them without the uniforms, though, that would just be too weird.

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 18
Tommy lasorda retired, citing wearing a uniform as part of the reason. I also think Koufax said something similar about not wanting to be a coach for this very reason.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach123456
The Tigers are very good. They have a lot of young talent, and most people would agree with me when I say they are going somewhere this year.

Pitchers never practice hitting, making it near impossible to hit MLB pitching. Until you have seen a real hard fastball from the batters box, most people dont really fully understand it. The hardest throwing guy I have hit off of is around 85 MPH, and that seemed insanely fast trying to hit it. Thinking about trying to hit one going 95 is just mind blowing.

The catcher gives the pitcher the location of the pitch and the type of pitch. The pitcher can shake it off and get new signs if he doesnt like what he gets from the catcher, and sometimes the catcher calls pitches that are given to him from the manager.

Coaches wear uniforms because........uhhh.............well, theres no real reason. I really cant imagine them without the uniforms, though, that would just be too weird.

I throw about 82 (going to be a senior). On the days when I'm off the batters sure don't have a problem hitting me!

On a side note, two years ago I was a teammate of Jeff Katz

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...m.php?team=ATL

He was picked 9th round by the Braves. He threw 91-92mph on average in high school and could dial it up to around 95-96 if he really needed to. It was ridiculous watching some of the kids hit against him.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 18
good answers/replies, everyone...i'll try to add a bit...

1. actually, there are a lot of pitchers that are really good hitters (relatively)...many pitchers were actually the best athletes on their teams growing up, so when they weren't pitching, they were the DH. though not pitching anymore, darren dreifort of the dodgers was the top pitching prospect in college at wichita state, but he was also the team's best hitter. the atlanta braves of the 1990s with glavine, avery, smoltz, and maddux had a great hitting pitching staff...all of these guys are also really good athletes.

2. nothing else to add, except to say to the OP - how else would they tell each other what pitch to throw without letting the batter know? the reason the catcher has to know what pitch is coming is so he can anticipate the pitch. nothing is scarier than anticipating a curve and getting a fastball...the catcher doesn't have much time to adjust...

3. beats me. i agree that it's mostly tradition. it would be funny to see bill parcells on the sideline wearing tight pants, a jersey, and pads...don't know why it's like that in baseball.

Jul 30, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Oh, and BTW, seriously, how good are the Tigers?

How can they go from the laughing stock of MLB to this??

They have thus far taken 2 of 3 from the Twins - the hottest team in baseball - and have the best record in baseball. Historically bad performance as recently as 3 years ago notwithstanding, I'd say they are pretty good.
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
I throw about 82 (going to be a senior). On the days when I'm off the batters sure don't have a problem hitting me!

On a side note, two years ago I was a teammate of Jeff Katz

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...m.php?team=ATL

He was picked 9th round by the Braves. He threw 91-92mph on average in high school and could dial it up to around 95-96 if he really needed to. It was ridiculous watching some of the kids hit against him.
evil_smiley.gif

Senior in high school or college? Im a freshman in high school, and yes, I would have a bit of trouble hitting off of you. Not saying I couldnt, but the best Ive gotten off someone that fast is a low line drive down the 3rd base line. (Im lefthanded)

Jul 30, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
They have thus far taken 2 of 3 from the Twins - the hottest team in baseball - and have the best record in baseball. Historically bad performance as recently as 3 years ago notwithstanding, I'd say they are pretty good.
biggrin.gif

Good points. However, being a Detroit Red Wings fan, I can't take anything for granted. This year they had the best record overall and even one of the top five records EVER. Highest payroll, best devenseive player of the year for the last five years (Lidstron) and then, bounced in the first round.
frown.gif

But, for the RW, the expectations are pretty high.

I think if that happened to the Tigers, we'd still be pretty happy just to have gotten to the playoffs and had a good season.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 18
I am a huge baseball fan, but yet I have to admit there is so much wrong with MLB.

Men aged 60-80 should NOT be wearing team uniforms. It's just wrong. Special manager uniforms should be developed that still emphasize team colours but allow for a more flattering fit (perhaps loose fitting warmup pants like NBA players).

DH in the American League and pitchers batting in the National League. The fact that you have these two leagues crossing over for play during interleague and during the World Series leads to unfair advantages. An AL team will not have the proper bench players and will have pitchers who can't bunt well. An NL team will not have a proper DH type player.

The other major flaw is having 30 teams divided into two leagues. This leads to the AL West having 4 teams, while the NL Central has 6 teams.

Jul 30, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

I've never played fastball in my life but still bet I could at least foul off a couple and look like a real player.

This is funny. Hate to burst your bubble, but no you couldn't. I played baseball for over half my life including the college level and I've only been out of the game for about 3 years. Against a decent major league pitcher I would consider myself very lucky to foul a couple of pitches off, much less put one in play. Most of that is due, however, to the fact that I haven't played in about 3 years. When I was actively playing it wouldn't have been near as hard to foul some off but still wouldn't have been easy to put one into play.

Hitting at the major league level is a LOT harder than it looks. It requires immense hand/eye coordination and lightning fast decision making. They aren't called professionals for nothing and regular Joe Schmo's can't walk up to the plate and take a couple of swings and look like a professional.

It only looks easy because the guys hitting off them are professionals as well and have likely been playing the game for 15+ years. And they still only succeed 3 out of 10 at bats (and that's the good ones).

No offense, but if you've never played the game the chances are very high you probably couldn't even hit against a well rounded high school pitcher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3
For the most part though, the pitcher and catcher work together deciding on the pitch.

This is spot on. Most pitchers up to major league level realize that they aren't nearly as good unless they have a good catcher they're comfortable with. And even at the major league level, a veteran catcher can help a pitcher pitch a really good game. I always preferred calling my own signs, because I knew my pitchers well enough and I knew what pitch would work when, and in what situation. I also judged things as what kind of day/week they were having, any arm/shoulder problems, and knew what they felt comfortable throwing. A good catch is invaluable as is good pitchers.

Quote:

Why do coaches have to wear a team uniform?

To me, coaches where a uniform because they are part of the team. Good coaches can make for really good teams. Take for example the Tigers. If I'm not mistaken this is his first year coaching them. And because they're part of the team, they also wear the uniform. That mixed with the fact that it's a respect thing. Generally coaches have been around the game a long time and should have a pretty good knowledge of it, so out of respect they shouldn't be allowed the privilege of suiting up in a uniform just like the rest of the guys.

Jul 30, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
This is funny. Hate to burst your bubble, but no you couldn't. I played baseball for over half my life including the college level and I've only been out of the game for about 3 years. Against a decent major league pitcher I would consider myself very lucky to foul a couple of pitches off, much less put one in play.

I agree. I had a friend who pitched for Georgetown. He could only get it up to 86, but had wicked action on his pitches. I consider myself a decent athlete and had much trouble getting any contact against him. I roped pone out of sheer luck. I don't think most people realize how fast anything over 80 is, the amount of movement on these pitches nor how little time you have to make a decision in the batter's box.

Anyway, my Yanks just got Abreu and Lidle. One more arm and we should be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back