Stumptown meet Impressions: - Annual Portland Oregon meet Impressions
Sep 6, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 49
Thanks for the Kudos MrArroyo. It's either making this stuff in the garage or back in the house with the kids!. And I also wanted to thank everyone for making my son Danny feel so welcome. He's still not hooked on Audio yet, but it won't be long.

Sep 6, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 49
Thanks for the pictures everyone, and thanks to Andrew for the sponsorship.
The meet was better attended than the February meet, with quite a bit more gear as well. We managed to fill up all of the tables.

The equipment highlights for me were the O2, JH13, and Dr. Strangelove's whole crazy-good movie setup. The O2s with its excellent supporting cast of equipment was sublime -- beautifully resolved and natural.

Please let us help you with the heavy equipment next time Dr. Strangelove! Your equipment weight to body weight ratio was very high :)

Donald always seems to have something new to share at these meets. I was looking forward to hearing the new Stacker; I really like the unique look.

Regards,
Jonathan

p.s. I was the one who brought the Woo WA6SE. I've had it packed up recently due to room renovation, so it was fun for me to set it up and listen.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 49
Certainly the biggest interest for me this meet was the Electrostat comparison. I was a bit shaky about it, because I was concerned it would push me to buy something new, but in the end, my plans for the future haven't really changed. (wallet says yay
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I've heard the Omega 2 once before, but it was in a store environment, well before I got the 404, and I was only able to listen to classical music (while I love classical, I rarely use it for equipment testing). I knew that the Omaga 2 and the 404 had a different sound to them, but I wasn't prepared for just how different it was. The O2 is no doubt more refined, more controlled and detailed overall, but it also has a much warmer sound, heavy bass, and a smoothness that would be nice for all-day sessions, but isn't really my taste. So, while the O2 is technically the better of the two, it's not what I would really call to my liking.

The 950 on the other hand, was a different beast. Of the Stax amps we had on hand, it was by far the most stable on the 717 - on my amp and Sachu's, you could really hear that these cans were thirsting the additional voltage they were designed for, especially in the looseness of the bass. For that reason, I'm reserving any final judgment on these until Sachu finishes his DIY stat amp. However, I will say that they are very, very capable stats. more neutral than the O2, with more treble and mids to enjoy, tighter and more energetic all around, and the potential for tons of detail - easily more capable in that department than the 404, maybe even the O2 once properly amped. The frequency response is different from the 404, but it's not like a major high-mid-low balance difference, more like a third or half octave shift. It has a markedly different sound from the stax, but without more listening, I wouldn't call one or the other better.

At the moment, if I ever got a new stat amp, I could see modding it to be able to flip to the Koss voltage and owning both cans.

One thing that kept coming to mind, switching between all three - I just can't see any justification for the price difference in the O2s. They are all different, but I can't think of any measure where the O2 is that much definitively "better". It strikes me as being geared specifically towards people who will spend tons of money to listen to classical music all day long - because that is one thing it would be exceptional for. Possibly for 650 lovers interested in electrostatics too.

This is the first meet where I've actually taken a vested interest in listening to IEMs, mostly due to the presence of the JH headphones. I've had bad experiences with IEMs in the past, and also due to past experience am tentative about anything in my ear canal, so I've avoided them for a few years (thus why I use the K81DJ as portable on the bus to shut out the noise rather than IEMs).

The JH13s were really, really nice. Pretty much what you would expect from a high-end peer/relative of the long touted UE10 - detailed, clean, and very, very well balanced. I listened to them from my Presonus' amp, which is simple, meager, but neutral, which is why I use it a lot for comparing headphones. Their efficiency was really clear in the fact that they didn't really seem to be begging for more. I'm sure they would do well on the more powerful amps, but unlike full-size cans, these can clearly sound pleasing on much less, which I could see offsetting the cost of the headphones themselves somewhat.

The JH11s on the other hand I didn't like. They surprisingly weren't very well balanced, and I kept getting sibilance in the top end, to the point that I wondered if they had fouled up the driver install on that model. Maybe for some tastes, but not mine. For that much money for something geared as a pro monitor, it should be much more neutral.

I would have liked to listen to the JH headphones more, or compare the 13 with the 10 (which was supposedly closer to the 13 than the 11) as dbel and andrew did, but trying to use the universal fit versions of these headphones with the earplugs was really a chore. I was only able to listen to a couple songs each because I was constantly having to adjust them. I think they need some better tip options for the demo units. I did get the impression though that the custom model you would actually buy could be very comfortable.

I also enjoyed the Maximo IM590, it really is a sweet IEM for the price range. Really smooth response with a slight push in the mids that makes for lovely vocals. Nice bass, and otherwise just solid all around. If I had one qualm it would be that the cable wrapping is a bit stiff and microphonic, making it better geared towards home or office use than exercise, where you would get noise from your clothing rubbing on the cable.

And man, the monster IEMs, which I didn't even realize that's what they were when I put them in... It just never ceases to amaze me the crap that company puts out.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Denon AH-D7000 were a nice refinement over the 2000, but still too much boomy bass for my taste. They remind me distinctly of beyers. However I did really like the physical construction, especially the cable.

The Fostex T10 was also a beautiful sounding piece of history. This stuff really does need to make a comeback.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #19 of 49
Oh, and yes I practically forgot - on the non-headphone side of things, The WA6SE was lovely, really musical, great tonality. A great living room tube amp. I'd like to hear it more sometime, I was pondering one myself at one point, but couldn't spend that much.

Sachu's and Yogi's DACs (I didn't compare, I find DAC comparisons frustrating at meets because they sound so similar), as well as the SACD player, were really outstanding sources. Digital bliss, I think the best we've had at a PDX meet.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Fostex T10 was also a beautiful sounding piece of history. This stuff really does need to make a comeback.

Was there no LCD-1 around for you to have a listen to the sound of the comeback of the orthodynamics?

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was there no LCD-1 around for you to have a listen to the sound of the comeback of the orthodynamics?

There was, but I didn't get around to listening to them. I guess there was also a problem with one of the drivers, so I probably would have reserved judgment anyway. With all of dbel's customized orthos though (many of the oldest being the most impressive), he is the ortho comeback.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #22 of 49
We had the newer T50RP's and Donald"s Woodied SF1's for 'Mid-Fi" ortho. I was so stoaked to hear of the presence of the JH's. As to be expected, it's hard to judge universal versions of custom IEM's, but it's what we had to work with. I felt the JH11's were on par with my Hearyourself C-3's but with a bit more clarity and detail in the mids and lacking the bass I was hoping for. After some "Tip Rolling" I found a pretty good seal on the JH13's and I must say that they were even better than I had expected. I'll definitely be saving for some "Harveys". Thanks again to Andrew for helping us out with the fitting and sharing of the Harveys as well as his own spread of IEM's. ( I think he needs a necklace rack to hold them all.) myk7000's Denon 7K's were quite creamy and made me miss my pair even more ( I needed the 700.00 more at the time),and his brothers' HF2's were excelent as well. I found them especially nice and smooth with the tubes and hybrids.
Having the stock Denon AHD2k's was also nice. I canabalized my last pair of 2K's for the drivers and pads and didn't take enough time to listen to them stock. Quite the sleeper, Markl Modded or not.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the Kudos MrArroyo. It's either making this stuff in the garage or back in the house with the kids!. And I also wanted to thank everyone for making my son Danny feel so welcome. He's still not hooked on Audio yet, but it won't be long.

Great to find out who the builder was. BTW, the m is for Miguel, the r for Ramon and well you already know my last name. I should not have used my two initials because they could be construed as meaning MR.

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #24 of 49
Am I correct in believing that a Fostex T10 and T50v1 were both in attendance? Glad to hear someone finally get to hear the T50. If only all the other orthos had been given a kick in the same direction... ah well. Was the T10 modded, and if so what was done to it? and did anyone compare the two?

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #26 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I correct in believing that a Fostex T10 and T50v1 were both in attendance? Glad to hear someone finally get to hear the T50. If only all the other orthos had been given a kick in the same direction... ah well. Was the T10 modded, and if so what was done to it? and did anyone compare the two?

They were there Wualta..also the ID1.

The Yamaha Hp-50 did manage to steal the the spotlight with the only lady at the meet picking those to be the most fun cans among the orthos.
icon10.gif

I thought the T10 and T50 were very close.I woud gravitate towards the T10 cause i think it would feel more comfortable on the head over longer durations..

Sep 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was, but I didn't get around to listening to them. I guess there was also a problem with one of the drivers, so I probably would have reserved judgment anyway. With all of dbel's customized orthos though (many of the oldest being the most impressive), he is the ortho comeback.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bummer. A comparison with some of the cans there would have been nice to hear about. Especially the T50v1 and some random good sounding stat.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bummer. A comparison with some of the cans there would have been nice to hear about. Especially the T50v1 and some random good sounding stat.

I'm quite certain that someone else from the meet should be able to speak to that. I'm hoping to better compare the orthos if we have some at a mini meet, which would be a much better environment for it.

Sep 6, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They were there Wualta..also the ID1.

Oo!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu
The Yamaha Hp-50 did manage to steal the the spotlight with the only lady at the meet picking those to be the most fun cans among the orthos.

Girls just wanna have HP-50s. That's all there is to it. They just wanna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu
I thought the T10 and T50 were very close.I woud gravitate towards the T10 cause i think it would feel more comfortable on the head over longer durations..

I'll assume the T10 was damped, then.
As for comfort, I've never understood why everyone finds the T50 pads so uncomfortable when the pressure is spread over such a large area. Maybe it's because it's spread over such a large area. Dunno.

Sounds like you guys did it up right, so I'm looking forward to hearing the results of future minimeets.

...and... GO 950! Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back