Stumped on A700 recable
Feb 21, 2007 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
I have been working on recabeling my A700's... if nothing else, for something fun to do.

Well... it isn't going as I'd hoped. I wanted to make them with a detachable cable. So, I got a Canare 1/4 Stereo Jack, two Canare 3.5mm Mono Jacks, and Two female 3.5mm jacks... and off we go.

Well... all said and done... nothing works. I am not sure why. All my solder points seem to be fine. When testing just the cable, using a multimeter and checking resistance, I get a reading every time, which means I have a circuit and all of that should be soldered right. In the cans, the wiring from the jacks to the driver seems right... but I did get a little confused there. They had a odd setup for using the one sided cable deal. One wire went from the driver to the other... but the left driver had three terminals in use. By the looks of it, one was signal, one ground, and one just a pass through for the other driver. As far as I know, I got the ground and signal terminals right. so that should be fine.

Has anyone else recabled these cans and can offer some insite? I am thinking this may have something to do with that third terminal in use on the left driver. I figured since I am not using the pass through wire... I dont need to use it. Should I Have something soldered there? Is there anything else I should be checking to find out where the problem lies? Could it be that I have mono plugs and stereo jacks? I figured since tip = left, if I just soldered both signal wires to the left on the jacks, it would work find.

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 3
if you terminated the headphone end plug as such:
tip: live
ring: nothing
sleve: ground
you are well off.

next to knock off the list:
dmm measurements.
left plug to tip on comon plug, right and all that. check grounds.

after that, i would check the impedance with everything plugged in, hold the DMM to the ground on the main plug and jsut check on the left and roght bits seperately. if this shows an open circuit, it is likely the 3-prong thingy you mentioned. i would check on it. with my dt-770's BOTH drivers had the 3-prong thingy, and the center was jsut used as a binding post, but you can see the driver wires soldered to the used terminals.

it is not terribly hard to get a short somewhere, or build a cable correctly for an incorectly wired jack...

note: this is my 3000'th post, and i made it from last tuesday with 5 posts.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks... but I figured it out. I screwed up in splitting the wires. They are working now.... sorta. The plugs I have don't seem to fit in the jacks I picked out to well. If they wiggle, it cuts out. I will have to try ordering some new jacks I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back