Stuff to see/do in or near Denver?
Jan 14, 2008 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pennylane

500+ Head-Fier
So I'm going on a business trip to Denver. And I was thinking of staying an extra day and driving around and being a tourist. I'm already there, anyway.

What kind of stuff would there be to see or do in Denver?

Thanks.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 15
I would ski.

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 15
Stay in the hotel and watch the movie, Things to do when You are Dead in Denver.
biggrin.gif

Definitely VAIL. Even if u don't ski, go celebrity-watching.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 15
the sights are the beautiful rockies which you can see form anywhere in the city

i like seeing rocky mountain national park during the snow, but to stay urban you could also go to Boulder and stroll the main drag

theres also a lovely liquor store in the city of boulder that is the size of most WalMarts. this would be a great place to load up on beer, for colorado having the most microbreweries/capita

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 15
ls20 mentioned how many microbreweries we have, and related to that I would highly recommend visiting a few. Boulder Beer Company is a fun and friendly place to tour, and I've been to the Wynkoop Brewery and Rock Bottom Brewery's 16th Street Mall location more than a few times.

And walking along both the 16th Street Mall in Denver and the shorter but livelier Pearl Street Mall in Boulder are enjoyable activities. You can always wander west to Golden and drive up Lookout Mountain to get some good views of the city.

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 15
Hmm. Red Rocks seems closer than Rocky Mountain National Park. Are either places... hikable during winter? There's not much precipitation in the forecast, though temperatures are supposed to be in the 30's during my stay. I'm a novice hiker (though I have decent hiking boots and should be dressed alright). If it's not hikable, are there still sights or whatever worth seeing during the winter?

I'm mainly interested in seeing a park of some kind and hopefully getting a chance to take some pictures and stuff. I'm not really into skiing, and only a little interested in visiting a brewery.

How would driving conditions be, also? I've never driven in snow or anything like that.

Thanks.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 15
Definitely do Red Rocks since it is just on the west end of town (just a couple miles from my house, actually...). The hikes in that area are pretty easy, plus Red Rocks itself is great and free (when there's no concert going on...) so you can even walk around the seating area. Here's their website for more info:

Welcome to Red Rocks

Driving conditions are a little slicker in the Red Rocks area of town - but that's really only when it snows. Usually they keep the roads pretty clean and it's an easy drive unless it's actually snowing, since it's hard to keep up with the current snowfall. Just take it slow and steady if it does snow.

Also near Red Rocks is a place called Dinosaur Ridge:

Search this site

It's right on the other side of the "hog back" from Red Rocks - which is a small mountain/hill that runs all along the west side of town. It's a museum dedicated to the dino fossils in that area, and the small road that goes up and over the hog back from the museum to Red Rocks has some places where you can pull off and look at the fossils right there in the rock faces - pretty cool.

I second the Lookout Mountain/Golden (on the same side of town/within 5 miles of Red Rocks), 16th St Mall in downtown Denver, and Pearl Street up in Boulder. Since it's winter and a little cold, there probably won't be as many buskers and colorful people on the two malls, but it's still fun to walk around. If you are at all into the "hippie" side of things, definitely do Pearl Street, and also "The Hill" in Boulder - a great area with lots of "hippie" stores/people.

Jason

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 15
Oh - and there's great pics from Red Rocks and Lookout Mountain. Since Red Rocks is pretty much closed after dark, you'll have to do it during the day. But you can get some awesome night pictures of Denver from the Lookout Mountain area.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Once I had a weekend in Denver (job done Friday noon, had to go back Monday morning to make sure everything hunkee-dooree). I took a wild ride through Co...

Down to Colorado Springs and went up the Pike's Peak (14,000 ft, on car!), then a detour to Royal Gorge (the highest suspention bridge in the world?), then clock-wise to Mesa Verdes (Indian ruin), and back up through Telluride, and on 70 back Denver. Got into Denver 2 a.m. Monday morning. Ah... the carefree single days...

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Estes Park is over an hour away but it's a huge tourist attraction

Black Hawk is also far but a great place to go at night if you like to gamble.

Boulder is a fun place to see. No other town combines Hippie, Yuppie, and alternative life styles so well. Winter isn't the best time though.

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pennylane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm going on a business trip to Denver. And I was thinking of staying an extra day and driving around and being a tourist. I'm already there, anyway.

What kind of stuff would there be to see or do in Denver?

Thanks.

One word: Westone

Go down to Colorado Springs and check out the Westone 3s, or better yet, shakedown p0wderh0und23 for a demo pair to bring back to NorCal...so I can listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back