Stuff like Jean Michel Jarre?
Dec 25, 2007 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bizzel

1000+ Head-Fier
Just picked up Aero and I love it to bits! What other artists have a similar sound? I'm desperate to pick up some more!
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 4
If youve jsut started with AERO, then get (In the order I would pick) Chronologie, Oxygene, Equinoxe.

Those are I guess the best classic jarre sound albums.

My personal Jarre favourite is Zoolook. Glorious album. Rendevous is also great.

If you want other artists with a twinge of the Jarre abotu them theres a few Vangelis albums that would fit the bill. Antartica and blade runner are good ones to start with Vangelis, as is Charriots of fire, but thats a step away from the Jarre.

Mike Oldfield Songs of Distand Earth and Tr3s Lunas I'd also give a go with.

Then theres Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream et al.

Nothing excpt Jarre sounds exactly liek JArre, though.

Dec 25, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal Jarre favourite is Zoolook. Glorious album.

Yea, I'm a big fan of what Jean-Michel Jarre did on Zoolook. It's a great one with Laurie Anderson (whose classic Big Science was just reissued) supplying some strange and wonderful vocals (along with many processed ethnic vocal snippets from over 25 languages including groups of pygmies) over electronic landscapes. Parts are really good. He's not the icon that Brian Eno is in my world and most of his work I find a bit uninteresting, but Zoolook has always been a favorite since it came out in 1984. Another fave, Adrian Belew, also plays guitar on some of it. It's an early digital recording but is done very well and has some very interesting spatial effects that can even make it a bit scary if listening with the lights out all by yourself. I remember one time listening by myself in the dark to the LP on my turntable and becoming deeply involved in the music and the images that seem to fill the whole room and wrap around you. The last track is called "Ethnicolor II", even though themantically it seems to have no relation to the amazing, epic opening track, "Ethnicolor". I have a friend who says it reminds him of an open air bazaar in a faroff land, abuzz with the sound of people moving about and voices everywhere. To me, it is more like a railway station with that same buzz of people and the sound of distant trains coming through in odd time signatures. But whatever images it conjures, when you are alone in the dark it can be quite disconcerting and even a bit scary. Enough so that I felt I was surrounded by souls on that occasion and had to reach for the light switch and shut down the images cause I was getting a little freaked. Fun stuff though
smily_headphones1.gif

If you wanna explore a little Middle Eastern ambience, Robert Rich Seven Veils is very soothing and captivating at the same time. And incredible sound quality. It's a 1998 instrumental release on the Hearts of Space label that I have seen described as "ancient music from another planet" which may not be far off. A blend of Middle Eastern percussion and constanly changing ambient atmospheres textured with his lap steel guitar and bamboo flute along with others contributing cello, violin, bass and occasional searing electric guitar. A very high level of melodic and rhythmic sophistication on this album will keep you exploring it for a long time.

And Peter Gabriel's Passion, and ... anyway, there's hundreds of pathways to explore and I've barely been down any of them myself. Good luck and happy travels.

Dec 26, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 4
I think the Vangelis album closest to the Jarre sound is Direct.

Jarre's music is for the most part much melody-driven, so I'd suggest another albums that is full of melody and interesting synth sounds: Rain by Kevin Braheny and Tim Clark.

If you can find the old albums by Patrick O'Hearn, get them (his new stuff are good, but leans towards the sparse, brooding ambient style). Be on the lookout for the albums Between Two Worlds, Ancient Dreams and Indigo.

Also Ray Lynch. This guy doesn't have many albums out so it is easy to get all. Start with No Blue Thing.

Tangerine Dream, OK; but they're rarely as melody-conscious as Jarre. See if you like their Poland live set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back