Studying
Jun 23, 2006 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MuZI

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm having some trouble getting my butt to study lately, any tips?

Motivational Tips?

Jun 23, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 13
1. Get a gf/bf who's an over-achiever ( for pressure )

2. Promise yourself some form of reward

3. Set a goal for every study session

4. Remember the aim of studying is to understand everything and not getting an A. If you understand everything, you'll get an A but not vice versa

5. Help another person. If you can explain to a person, you can explain in writing.

6. Study groups, symposiums

7. Do the subjects you enjoy most first to build up momentum.

Hope this helps. For me, i can't study with music on. Oh yeah, and if you're paying for you own education like i do, then it's a lot easier to feel more responsible.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
get off this forum!

i was constantly checking all the forums here to distract myself during finals week

Yea, me too.

Get a stress releiver ball. When studying I like to bounce it off my wall and it helps relax me and get me focused again.

Jun 23, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #5 of 13
Or so i think. I read it way back four years ago and it works pretty well if you are putting an assignment off.
Essentially I just trained myself to use stress as a motivator to do the work instead of a distractor.
Often I am fooling around and suddenly get nervous about an assignment then drop what I'm doing to do it, then suddently after fifteen minutes or an hour or so I have a better grip on what I'm supposed to be doing and feel a lot better.
It works pretty well actually.
Don't know a topic in Spanish and its making you nervous? Turn it around and just start reading the Spanish and you'd be surprised how fast a majority of "that feeling" goes away in a jiffy.
I get nervous about a final or an essay and start doing this long before it's due to fight the anxiety.
It is a constant battle though, but at least I feel i'm winning the battle now.

The reward is that you get to actually fully enjoy what your doing to relax after you knock off just a bit of the work and feel better.

I'm to the point now where as soon as I feel anxiety about a great deal of things I used to procrastinate about, I just start doing it or making arrangements to do it (appointments, etc. in the latter case).

I also dedicate myself to relaxing when I do it and dedicate myself to the work once I do it

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 13
Spend some time trying to identify the root causes of why you're having trouble staying motivated to study. Are you depressed? Is the material/program not a good fit for you? Do you have a discipline problem or a procrastination problem? Is there something in your life not quite going right that's spilling over into your studies? Think about talking to a school counsellor... that's what they're there for.

If it's really a serious issue, think about taking a semester off and travelling or working full time. Part-time work isn't the same. I had four different jobs through high school and college but it wasn't until I took my first full-time job that the "big picture" started to condense for me. I wish I would have taken a year off somewhere along the way to just get my bearings and renew my motivation.

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 13
Sleep. No kidding. Sleep is one of my main studying techniques. I have refined my sleeping abilities to the point where I can study while sleeping. I have obtained awesome feats of cramming using this technique.

Jun 23, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 13
Find a place to study at your school or at a library. Don't try to study at home.

Jun 23, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 13
I find it a lot easier to study in public places (book stores, cafe, coffee shop, library, etc.) I bring my iPod and relax to some coffee in between as break sessions.

Jun 23, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
I find it a lot easier to study in public places (book stores, cafe, coffee shop, library, etc.) I bring my iPod and relax to some coffee in between as break sessions.

same here. been studying at starbucks for the past couple months for the cpa exam. public places fits me because once you get there, you'll want to fight temptation of going home. make sure you get the biggest size coffee too. everytime i want to go give up and go home, the drink reminds me that i shouldn't waste it and the drive reminds me that i'm wasting gas to be here for an hour only...

study groups don't work for me. its more of a distraction... why study for 4 hours (2 hours goes to chatting or asking/answering questions) when you can do it in 2 by yourself??

Jun 24, 2006 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
4. Remember the aim of studying is to understand everything and not getting an A. If you understand everything, you'll get an A but not vice versa

wow thats a really good one, I should keep that in mind as well. Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back