Studying with music
Aug 15, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #17 of 27
Well...I did listen to a lot of music directly before my university exams. Got 3 HD's and a Credit. Not bad for a person who didn't study too hard I guess.

Ironically enough I got a Credit on the unit that I was having the least trouble with throughout the year.

Aug 16, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #19 of 27
I'm big on multitasking, but can't stand to have music on while I'm studying because it is distracting to an unbearable degree. This is especially applicable to when I am reading - even when reading a serious news article online, I prefer to have my music off. I make exceptions for when I'm penning essays (formal or otherwise) or doing useless busywork.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #20 of 27
Iv'e tried time and time again over the summer here at the Uni to listen to music while in the library studying but I cannot for the life of me do both lol; if I'm listening it's either with my eyes closed (best experience) or surfing the net. 

Aug 21, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #21 of 27
I've found that I can't listen to anything other than slow, relaxed instrumental tracks when I'm reading or trying to study. Busy tracks or tracks with vocals (particularly those with prominent vocals) screw up my thinking and processing of information.

Aug 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #22 of 27
I only listen to music while studying math or the sciences.

Trying to write an essay or read an article with music, instrumental or vocal is just downright annoying for me.

Aug 25, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #24 of 27
Agree
I find that if I listen to music while studying, I absorb a lot less.  I usually end up paying more attention to the music and just stop doing work =P.  Even if its very low volume, its still hard for me to concentrate.
If i do tedious drills like calculations for stuff, music doesn't really distract me then =P.

I agree with rreis too.  Its very hard for me to read a book and listen to a song with lyrics of the same language at the same time.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
I only listen to music while studying math or the sciences.

Trying to write an essay or read an article with music, instrumental or vocal is just downright annoying for me.

Yea like you and Ohungry stated, I can only listen to music when doing math or science; things where I have to read and comprehend large amounts of text I can't have any background noise... while at home anyway.

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #26 of 27
I am among those who can't have music going when I study, or even for just casual reading. Too distracting. I'm sure that is not always the case, because my wife can really focus even when there is lots of background noise. So I'm sure it varies from person to person.

Here's an interesting article on the "Mozart effect":
http://skepdic.com/mozart.html

Sep 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #27 of 27
There isn't a time of day that can't be improved with a little music.

I can do anything and listen to music at the same time, my friend cannot.  I do find music far more effective on my mind and soul however when I'm liberated from responsibility and can relax into the music.  Notice not "focusing" on the music, but relaxing into it.  I let music do the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back