Studio use headphones for under $250, unamped
Jun 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

daleb

500+ Head-Fier
Hello! So I went out and bought the DT880 Pros, expecting them to work with my E11. Turns out, that doesn't even remotely power them. Today, I went to a Head-fi meet and really liked the hD600s, HD800s, and Philips Fidelio X1. What headphones for under $250 can excel pretty much unamped, considering that my headphone out produces the same amount of power as the E11 (maybe even a little more!), with a neutral sound signature for both electronic music, and vocal music. I normally like a brighter (but close to neutral) sound, but I would like something maybe a little more mid focused this time around? The HD600s have something special about them I really like, it might be its slow decay? I don't know. I compose electronic music, piano solo music, and orchestral music.  I was thinking maybe the HD598s, but supposedly that will only fit half of my song writing time (vocal, piano solo, and orchestral music) and then the vocal. I don't know if that's true. Thanks for the help!
Edit: Right now, I used the HD280 pros, but with an EQ to make the upper mids, low bass, and treble stronger.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 4
I think you'll like the KRK KNS8400. Pretty good midrange, very very accurate (vocals, guitar strings, piano) i don't know how much bass you like on music, but the bass on them is just the right amount. Some even say its a weak bass response. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 4
I knew that name was familiar (yet ridiculous), and then I saw they make the yellow studio monitors. I've always wanted those just because they're yellow.

Edit: Could you compare those to the PC350s? They use a driver very similar to the HD598s, they might even be the same.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Well, i don't use the 350 for music but i will try my best here. 

The PC350 they are great headphones for gaming, opposed to the KNS the soundstage is superior, not accurate (for studio applications and music) nice mids and bass punch is just perfect for me. Since i play FPS i don't need lots of bass, i have my ultrasones for that. 

Some guys have modded it and they report that there's a huge benefit on sound (bass specially) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back