Studio Recording Headphones suggestions
Aug 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Hello,

I'm a bass and analog synth player. I'll be in studio next week recording first EP with my band. It's a self made recording so I'm looking for some suggestions. I need really good headphones for this. I know that some of high priced headphones are disapointed for that purpose ( suited for audiophile but not for recording session). So i'm mainly asking to those who works in studio out there. I know that there are some standard, like akg k271 (which couldn't fit the bill because of his lack of bass), beyer dynamic dt770 pro, german maestro GMP 8.35D, etc....

I'm looking for headphones with nice bass (analog synth are bass oriented mostly) but not that kind of loudness contour eqed headphones (if you can follow what i mean). Something pretty close to what it'll be in the mix. Really clear, warm and detailled.

Regards.

The 8.35 will do a great job, they're more balanced compare to the 770. The K-271 are more mid centric hps. here is more info about the 8.35, http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

The 8.35 will do a great job, they're more balanced compare to the 770. The K-271 are more mid centric hps. here is more info about the 8.35, http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

Hey there Acix.

I actually had the pleasure of reading your review when it first came out a couple of years back and have been wondering ever since if I had made the right choice in going for the SRH840's instead of the Maestro's.

Now that my SRH840's are gone would you still recommend today the 8.35's as a neutral, detailed, and clear headphone?  Have you had a chance to compare them to the Shure's?

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Hey there Acix.

I actually had the pleasure of reading your review when it first came out a couple of years back and have been wondering ever since if I had made the right choice in going for the SRH840's instead of the Maestro's.

Now that my SRH840's are gone would you still recommend today the 8.35's as a neutral, detailed, and clear headphone?  Have you had a chance to compare them to the Shure's?

After changing a few close hps over the years, I've got to the conclusion that the 8.35 is the end of my close studio hps searching. But since I have the Sony SA-3000, the Sony Z-1000 made me curios

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
Yeap ... I got mine too. Comfort is the only issue.
But others don't suffer as much as I do:) SQ ... worth every penny
smily_headphones1.gif
They may need some EQ - ing. Burn in necessary.
Hope u like em.

Quote:

These cost about $45 at Amazon and velours cost about $25 (assuming they cost this much). For a similar price you could get the Sony MDR V6 (same as the 7506) which is pretty comfortable and has a nearly identical sound (though it appears the Superlux wins in this category). What do you think?

Quote:

Hmmm...you do have a point. But I guess will save up for the velours...maybe the HD661 may surprise us with some different behaviour again :) What say ? :

RE: Superlux HD661

The HD661 is just more forward sounding than the Sony perhaps with better imaging and soundstage. They're not as comfortable, but mine are not as bad as I feared. The Sony pads will need to be replaced anyway after a few years. They are notorious for falling apart and flaking, leaving bits of black vinyl on your ears and head. There are tons of posts about replacement suggestions. It looks like most people like the Beyerdynamic DT250 are very popular for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2

I am planning on getting these for my Superlux. I think they would be ideal since they will likely tame the sound signature slightly and be way more comfortable. The stock velour earpads on my DT 770 Pro are great and have lasted for years.

One last thing. The HD661 sounds MUCH better through a good amp. Although it's touted as a "portable" by some it sounds weak and grainy out of a portable source. But plug it into a decent amp and it really shines.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

RE: Superlux HD661

The HD661 is just more forward sounding than the Sony perhaps with better imaging and soundstage. They're not as comfortable, but mine are not as bad as I feared. The Sony pads will need to be replaced anyway after a few years. They are notorious for falling apart and flaking, leaving bits of black vinyl on your ears and head. There are tons of posts about replacement suggestions. It looks like most people like the Beyerdynamic DT250 are very popular for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2

I am planning on getting these for my Superlux. I think they would be ideal since they will likely tame the sound signature slightly and be way more comfortable. The stock velour earpads on my DT 770 Pro are great and have lasted for years.

One last thing. The HD661 sounds MUCH better through a good amp. Although it's touted as a "portable" by some it sounds weak and grainy out of a portable source. But plug it into a decent amp and it really shines.

Thank you so much for the sharing. I thought I did read somewhere that the Beyer's earpad are compatible and also enhances the cans. But I couldn't dig deeper as was caught up with stuff.
This pretty much sums it all up.

Bro, after burn-in for 100 hrs, cans become better.. its just my experience. But others report no significant change.

Yea, u r absolutely right, amping really helps. I am planning a tube for my next budget amp. Warm up things a little...I dunno ... just a thought. 
But the cushions are a must ... since my HD661 are surely a keeper...despite being a little aggressive, forward and on the bright side, its not a turn off for me.

Tks once again.

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #22 of 23
Hey I have the KRK KNS 8400. Great isolation and are pretty quick. In general, people might find them to be bass-light. I find them okay in quantity, maybe a bit less. When listening to a song, I sometimes find the bass to be lacking, however when tracking individual instruments, including bass and synths, these are really detailed, very fast and go deep in the sub-bass. In a song, sometimes it's hard to hear the sub-bass but purely for tracking individual stuff or just listening to all the bass and percussion items, the 8400 are one of the best. Some people suggest, D2000. I have the D2000 and I find them too slow in that regard. Don't go for AKG, the soundstage imaging is really weird when adjusting from monitor speakers to the AKG. My HE-500 do a far better job in that regard.

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #23 of 23
One thing about the 8400s, their soundstage is somewhat small but the imaging in that space is very precise. For example, when working in Ableton/Logic with plugins like Massive and ES24, when trying to change the width and depth of the synths, its sometimes hard to tell, whereas on speakers it so much easier. Although, when you change the attack, decay and mess around with the envelopes, even the subtle changes can be picked up very very well. I think you'll love it for your needs, but give them 50 hours to burn in. All the analog instruments sound exceptionally well with 8400. The 8400 especially shines with real instruments, even the slightest difference in tonality between two guitars can be easily distinguished. Try to get a demo if it's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back