Studio Monitors: The comfort edition
Sep 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #16 of 21
DT 770 PROs are perhaps not studio headphones but superbly comfortable. Better then average soundstaging for headphones with such good isolation as well. Comfortable and built like tanks. 8.35D Monitors is even more indestructable but ultrasones pro series and DT 770 Pros is good seconds
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Unfortunately, this somewhat disqualifies those for me. I don't need the hugest airiest soundstage for the indended purposes (I've played long enough that I generally know where people are going to be anyway ^_^) but I do need something that has a decent soundstage. Once again, the HD280 was sufficient for this.

The GMP 8.35 with the stock pads have bigger sound stage than the HD-280. The 8.35 with the newer pads, the sound stage is almost big as the K701/2.

Maybe in 2003 I would have recommend you the HD-280, the HD-25ll, and the Sony V6. This days no need to go so low...
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR...

The V6 modded with Beyerdynamic DT250 pads would be comfy for under $100.

I recall reading about a successful mod for the HD280 where a Head-fier strapped a piece of metal to its headband and reduced its clamping force. But a modded V6 would surely be more comfy due to the Beyer pads.

Did you actually experience working with this headphones in the studio??

Sep 13, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #19 of 21
I don't read much about the V6 being used for positional gaming. Based on that and this post, I wouldn't risk trying the V6 for use with CSS.

I owned the HD280, and read it was good for that type of gaming. Its grip won't loosen up enough even with stretching, and its headband is subject to cracking. You probably could mod one with a piece metal or stiff plastic that's affixed over the top of the headband to pull the ear pads apart.

FWIR, I suggest considering the DT660.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mainly because I need something I can use that can tolerate a bit of abuse, I am hard on my gear. I will also use them when I go to LANs and the like (I play CSS for a pretty well known team), so being able to stand that abuse and provide moderate isolation are two of the things I am looking for.

Comfort, because in extreme situations these might be on for 12 hours a day. Mainly just a clamping force issue for me.

I suppose I also need some decent directional placement for this as well - I have also owned the DT-250 (forgot I had these for a bit) and was not pleased with how they worked for the games I play. The HD280 was good, but presented different problems after being on for more than a hour

Studio monitors don't come with durability and comfort as inherent features - they're really for providing as neutral response as possible.

And it's no surprise the DT250 isn't well suited for gaming now you've provided that info as your usage, as monitors are usually closed phones - so you can monitor stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back