Studio Monitors self powered? Please help on decision.
Oct 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 26
My source is computers, and an ipod for parties. These speakers will have many purposes so I wouldn't mind them being small. I am starting a new venture, so having a tight budget goes hand and hand. I just want decent quality, something that'll beat my igroove with sound and volume would be ideal. Doesn't have to be as small.

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source is computers, and an ipod for parties. These speakers will have many purposes so I wouldn't mind them being small. I am starting a new venture, so having a tight budget goes hand and hand. I just want decent quality, something that'll beat my igroove with sound and volume would be ideal. Doesn't have to be as small.

well guy..

then the obvious answer is audioengine A5.

no fuss, no muss...plug n play.. and they get really great reviews.

Oct 8, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffrr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I won't comment on your assumptions other than to say i've worked in some of the best recording studios in Germany and the US, and have worked with and/or owned several of the most well-revered active models.
My comment is based on many years of experience, and isn't based on emotion

hehe, now whos making the assumption here??? i'm not going to argue, potato : potato. but for you to make a statement like that, IMO you havent heard a decent active, regardless of your 'background' . but of course you are open to have whatever view you wish. the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages IMO. no emotion invoved whatsoever here mate, I only bought my KRK actives due to convenience and yes accuracy at the pricepoint for home studio monitoring, I have heard the passive version with a decent amp (a combination which is more expensive), and it does not perform as well. I hardly use speakers anymore and I certainly dont own any ATC, so you are mistaken, seems you are the pot calling the kettle black.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #20 of 26
I guess my ATC SCM20 ASLs dont qualify as decent. I don't intend on arguing with you as you seem to be rather young and somewhat green, so..i will close with this.

Active amplifiers cannot be upgraded later to accommodate advancements in design.

Users cannot mix and match/tailor the amplifier selection to enhance or perhaps mask a speaker's weaknesses/strengths.

I use the SCM20s in the field because I dont have to carry any extra equipment..just the monitors and my console... but in the studio, it is back to the Seperates. I prefer passives by a considerable margin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hehe, now whos making the assumption here??? i'm not going to argue, potato : potato. but for you to make a statement like that, IMO you havent heard a decent active, regardless of your 'background' . but of course you are open to have whatever view you wish. the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages IMO. no emotion invoved whatsoever here mate, I only bought my KRK actives due to convenience and yes accuracy at the pricepoint for home studio monitoring, I have heard the passive version with a decent amp (a combination which is more expensive), and it does not perform as well. I hardly use speakers anymore and I certainly dont own any ATC, so you are mistaken, seems you are the pot calling the kettle black.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by santacore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ffrr, you beat me to it. The Audio Engine speakers should work great for you. Take your 1/8" out of your computer/iPod and you're rolling. I just picked up their A2's for my kitchen and they are working out great.

Yes, they are just what the PhD ordered for the OP.

I can think of nothing more perfect for his situation.

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #23 of 26
Bump

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #25 of 26
Hi
I have adam a5 with benchmark dac 1 usb, sounds great...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back