Studio Monitors or Computer Speakers ($500 budget)
Aug 23, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #17 of 24
I must recommend B&W MM-1 (switched from Acoustic Energy Aego). They're extremely detailed and I was quite impressed with the quality of the bass given that they don't come with a sub. They're perfect if you're looking for the minimalist look and right within your budget.

Edit: Didn't notice you also plan to get a sub - in that case, I highly recommend the A5s.

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #20 of 24
Also I have decided to spend around $350 for a dac that has optical input and xlr outputs. Was considering the matrix mini-I any other suggestions?? And can also please point me to another forum that deals more with speakers and computer audio. Thanks

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #21 of 24
Hello Mas....

Matrix Mini-i is a good choice indeed.  Has a pre-out, so you can control volume once speaker volume is set.  I'm using it balanced now with my KRK Rokits (XLR) and with the RCA outs of the Matrix, I'm rockin' the Audioengine A5s with tube buffer.  All from laptop...Who says Head-fi is all headphones...
biggrin.gif

Head-fi is a headphone forum, like you stated...However, we do listen to speakers as well.  I have many headphones, but speakers are go-to, when running around the house....

Here is a thread I started a few weeks ago about powered monitors...Enjoy!!!    No stress sir....This is all fun....Trial and error is part of the journey....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/564898/audioengine-a5-vs-krk-rokit-rp6-g2-nice

beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #22 of 24
Well my HS50M pair do not exhibit your problem, try one speaker of a time, or try different interface/source to see where the problem is.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #23 of 24
ok well it seems that I will be giving back the Alesis IO2 because it has too many features that will not be used at all and reading around seems like it is a piece of crap. Ill buy another interface and see if the speakers show the same issue and then hopefully buy the subwoofer by next weekend if this hurricane does not destroy the guitar center. hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back