Studio Monitors or 2.1 System Hip Hop listening and Casual production for my apartment
Jan 13, 2014 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deegnuts

New Head-Fier
Hey, I am looking for help in buying some speakers for my apartment (to be connected into my computer mainly).  I am considering studio monitors but leaning more toward a 2.1 system.  I am definitely more of an audiophile than any of my friends but most likely not more than anyone on here.   I use the Shure 215s as my headphones and love them (846s would be nice but who has the money?).  

I listen to everything from Hip Hop (mainly) to Jazz to Acoustic to Reggae and occasionally Pop/Rock.  I also enjoy producing hip hop but it's just more of a hobby.  

I'm looking for something that sounds pretty crisp and not muffled like many really low end speakers but from time to time I just want a stupid amount of bass to shake the room (hence the reason I'm leaning towards the 2.1 setup) Also I don't want to have to get an amp or anything additional

Here's the catch... I'm on a budget of about $100 (maybe a bit more).  I have done a bunch of research and found the following options that seem to me to be my best options.   

Logitech z623 2.1 7" Sub and 200 Watts RMS -- These seem to have the amount of bass that I am looking for and it's easily adjustable

M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Active Studio Monitor Speakers -- These may have better sound quality than the Logitechs though.  

I want as good of sound quality as possible for my price range and I understand that turning up the bass to stupid "room shaking" levels will take away from the quality of the rest of the music which is why I am looking for something with good quality sound and just the option for that kind of bass haha.  

Any additional suggestions would be great!

Thanks a lot!

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 5
4" drivers are not going to give you the bass you want. However I don't think $100 will give you the bass you want, unless you spent it all on a sub.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 5
Forget Logitech.. Besides from their UE products, the sound quality is incredible Poor. Just Alot bass in a poor quality, not even very deep. treble in the quality of most TV sound, and no mids.
In my Opionion, this is not even a good choise for music listening. Producing with this crap is a joke.

Get Studio monitors for that, and buy a subwoofer later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back