Studio monitors for PC use?
Oct 22, 2009 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yeah

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have already bought an Onkyo SE-200PCI LTD soundcard and have been auditioning some speakers to go with it.

I was wondering if it is all right to use studio monitors such as Adam A7/A5 or KRK RP5 for mainly listening to music from the computer (CDs, mp3, etc), some movies from DVDs as well as a little games, or is it more appropriate to use bookshelf speakers such as Audioengine A5 or Swan for those purposes?

What are the pros and cons for using the different types of speakers? Thanks a lot!

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 15
I would imagine if you like the sound that those models you detailed give you, then I would be stupid to tell you it's a bad idea.

It's better to use bookshelf speakers, as it gives you more options with amplifiers, you can upgrade at a later date, spend more money on cables, get the sound exactly as you want it. However, its more cables, more hastle, and if you like the sound from the monitors then I would go with it
smily_headphones1.gif

It's stupid of me to disuade you from purchasing something if you like the sound of the monitors
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 15
I beg to differ - the active crossovers in studio monitors almost always give better results, especially for nearfield use where a much lower xover point is optimal.

Mackie makes some 8" studio monitors called the HR824s which are very well rated, and if you're on the budget, the Behringer 2030As offer very good value for money, especially if you reinforce the box a little bit.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 15
You can use studio monitors as computer speakers for music listening. I do. They do fine for music listening duty.

There is a learning curve though. Studio equipment is a little different than home audio and regular computer audio. Studio equipment likes to do balanced connections but can do unbalanced (RCA) by using an adapter. So you gotta learn about balanced, unbalanced, cables available, various adapters, and other little things that are different from normal home audio.

You'll also find that you'll need some sort of external volume control. The volume knobs on studio monitors are on the back and aren't intended to be used as a regular volume knob. The idea is to set the volume level on the back of the speaker to a reference level that matches other speakers in the studio and then use some sort of external volume control to set the regular listening level. You can use a pre-amp, passive volume knob, studio monitor control station or mixer. There are various passive volume knobs under $100 that are designed for studio monitors. If you're going to do all unbalanced you can use a regular home pre-amp and you can probably find a suitable used one for a reasonable price.

The main obstacle is the learning curve for getting familiar with the pro-audio way of doing things.

I use a Mackie Big Knob as my monitor control. It's like a pre-amp but sums inputs and has multiple outputs and jacks that go to my headphone amp. Flexible and handy.

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 15
If you are looking ar Rokits, I would also recommend looking at the Mackies (MR5 or 8s perhaps). I have A/B them with the Rokits and the Mackies were the clear winner. try them out at your local guitar center. they will have both and more than happy to hook you up an audition.

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 15
I use Genelec's so yeah people do go this route.

If you have the chance try comparing for yourself if possible since this is a totally subjective topic of conversation.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 15
I use Genelec 8020 active monitors with my computer and these are best audio purchase that I've made. Before these I was exclusively using HD650 for computer listening.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 15
Mackie MR5 is a great choice, very warm rich sound.

KRK RP5g2 is excellent too, I picked them over the Mackie's after a hard choice.. the Mackie's had better bass, but the KRK sounded more crisp/refined to me

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 15
Good active designs trump passives regardless of the listening field. The advantages of an electronic crossover before amplification, and individual amps chosen or designed to match the load characteristics of individual drivers, creates clear sonic benefits that will beat almost any passive/amp combination at any price.

The keyword, of course, is "Good" active designs. A lot of cheap actives have been made for the project/home studio market. Some of them sound really good. Some, not so much. Go to Guitar Center and listen. Watch out for exaggerated highs attempting to emulate "detail," and pumped-up midbass trying to get a big bottom end out of a small speaker. Or just go to the high end -- Dynaudio, Genelec, AVi, the better JBLs, etc.

P

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 15
I have a set of KRK G2 Rokit 6"'s that I have been using with my computer. Not having a lot of extra cords and such makes them far more convenient to move/setup (I'm a college student so that matter more to me).

Anyway, I have no complaints about them and think that they are a great choice.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 15
I use m-audio bx5as and i like them a lot... they were within my budget and sound pretty nice and detailed but..

I didn't want to create a separate thread for this but how do you guys feel about equalizers? The bx5a deluxe are suppose to improve bass over the original but it still seems rather lacking for me (and I'm not even a bass guy either). I've no experience with adjusting equalizers, right now I just set itunes to "bass boost" ^^ how does one best tweak it.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #14 of 15
I have the M-Audio BX5's & yes they were lacking in bass. They were also not very revealing of the depth (not related to bass) in the music until I modified the amps inside. They by themselves sound bass shy even modified so I use a Tannoy TS10 300watt bash amped sub to back them up in the lower registers. This combo sounds just right. Solid response into the low 20Hz range & even does a credible job at 16Hz (low note on large pipe organ) in my room.

The BX5a's definately have more bass than the BX5's & seem like they could be more revealing of depth in the recordings but the bass may be harder to seamlessly blend with the sub as it seems a little boomy in character compared to the BX5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back