Studio monitors for music listening?
Jun 17, 2005 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I was considering purchasing the Blue Sky MediaDesk 2.1 system for a speaker setup for college ($500) after listening to them at a guitar center and liking what I heard. Very recently I set up my father's Alesis Monitor Two's in my room (not the best room environment for them... but still), and I really enjoy their sound. The questions I have are:

Is there any reason to avoid using studio monitors for simple music-listening purposes? Is there any distinction between studio monitors and "regular" speakers for this purpose?

Also, is there anything else I ought to be looking into aside from the MediaDesk in their price range? I was planning on getting them partially because they were active, so I wouldn't have to worry about getting a decent amp for them; if I decided to go with a passive speaker, I'd want something a bit cheaper to account for this.

Jun 18, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 17
Studio moniters are generally tuned to be flat and analytical but other than that there's nothing stopping you from using them for music listening (I have a pair of M-Audio BX8's for that, and they're great).

Jun 18, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Studio moniters are generally tuned to be flat and analytical but other than that there's nothing stopping you from using them for music listening (I have a pair of M-Audio BX8's for that, and they're great).

you have it almost right.Studio monitors are not only designed to be as close to nuetral as possible they are also meant to be used in an acoustically dead room.that is one where only the speakers is heard and the room sound is totally out of the equation.
When a speaker is designed to play in a real world room it is so tuned to work with refective surfaces and room interactions.A speaker designed without these allowances can sometimes (most times !) be harsh and treble dominate to the extreme that you will end up spending as much on room treatments as the actual speakers.

The eception is the "nearfield" monitor which being designed to listen to right up close and personal is second only to the ear/headphone coupling when room interaction is considered.

hope this helps a bit

Ricksta

Jun 18, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar

Yet "flat" seems to be one of those buzzwords companies use to hype their speakers, anyway.
confused.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Yet "flat" seems to be one of those buzzwords companies use to hype their speakers, anyway.
confused.gif

I was thinking more as it being ruler flat response, as in neutral.

Jun 19, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 17
I have heard a few monitors and they are really good, I have owen a pair of them and my friends still have some Tannoys around....flat??? Well all the speakers should be, according to the genaral consensus, otherwise they are coloring the music...If the space is limited get a nearfield monitors and you will be satisfied...

Jun 19, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #9 of 17
Great! Guess I'll just stick with my original plan, then. Thanks for your responses, guys.

Jun 19, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 17
Flat they are not, regardless of their nearfield/midfield/farfield status.

Jun 19, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Flat they are not, regardless of their nearfield/midfield/farfield status.

What, the Blue Sky Mediadesk? Doesn't really bother me, I'm not going to be using them for monitoring applications (I don't think), and since I liked what I heard in Guitar Center I don't think I can really go wrong. Sounded flat enough to me, and I've heard quite a few pairs of monitors that I thought were pretty far off from that term.

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #12 of 17
Exactly. If they were all aiming at being flat, geez, I guess they think we're idiots, eh? If you like the way they sound, that's good enough.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
rolleyes.gif
I worked at a dance club that had m-audio's in the lighting booth. WOW is all I can say when I was programming their stuff...

I wouldnt mind having the same thing for the computer but I wouldnt use them that much to justify their cost

You can pick up a pair of BX8's for around $370 (plus tax) at Guitar Center if your negotiation skills are up to par.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
but I wouldnt use them that much to justify their cost

bhd812's Headphone Inventory:
sr 325 (silver) bought on 12-26-03.
rs-1 bought on 4-27-04,
ps-1 6-04-04
sr-80 5-24-04
shure e2 9-14-04
senn mx500 9-27-04