Studio monitors for everyday use, is that possible?
Jan 2, 2017 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kalsten

Head-Fier
Hi I am on the verge of buying a pair of Studio Monitors, as I end up playing guitar through the computer all the time (Line6 UX1 and Bias FX). However, I also listen to music, play games and watch movies in the computer.

Right now I have a 2.1 Creative system (a very very cheap one), but I was considering using the Studio Monitors as computer speakers too, but many people says that Monitors are not good for listening to music, for example.

I am considering a pair of Mackie MR6mk3, if that helps.

Thank you :)

Jan 2, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 19
  many people says that Monitors are not good for listening to music, for example.

I do not believe in this. Mastering engineers try to make their music sound as good as possible on studio monitors, so if anything I believe accurate studio monitors are the best way to listen.

One downside to studio monitors could be the practicality. They may not have a volume control that works for both speakers. On my LSR305s for instance, the volume control is on the back and it's independant for each speaker. It would be very impractical if I did not have my Magni 2U as a preamp. Connectivity is different as well. Studio monitors place less emphasis on appearance than hi-fi speakers. If these things are not issues for you, if you can connect and control them with the equipment you have or plan to get, and you're happy with the appearance, then I think studio monitors are a fine choice.

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 19
Studio Monitors are not flattering. They are designed to be as accurate as possible. However they still work for listening once you get used to them.
Also as MindsMirror had pointed out you will need a Monitor Controller for volume changes and such. Either software or hardware. Just be mindful when you start playing music.

Jan 3, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 19
Most studio monitors (including the Mackies) are designed as near-field, meaning they're built for close range listening. IMO they are fantastic as desktop speakers, but as @MindsMirror mentioned you have to build some infrastructure around them. Volume control is the main issue, but also switching them on and off may over time become a chore. 
Before you get them make sure you know how they will function in your system - especially if the budget doesn't stretch any further.

Jan 3, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 19
The JBLs that MindsMirror mentioned are fantastic for listening. They seem to be tuned more for listening than for critique unlike most studio monitors. I had a pair of Focal Solo6s that were very good as well, but they were fairly flat, without being fatiguing however. Those Yammies however, do seem to be a bit tipped up, and harsh *to my ears*, which may just be an indication of how accurate they are, but I've come to realize how much I don't like accuracy. LOL

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 19
I use Focal Alpha 50s for my desktop listening and they sound amazing! They do not have a volume control so I either use my dac (with a volume control) or my Mac's volume control. The good thing about most studio monitor is the ability to provide LF and HF shelfing which provides some level of frequency tuning based on the placement as well as your preference. I have my Focal HF shelfed down about 2db which provides a very natural and revealing listening experience. True that they will not flatter bad source material but that is the price to pay for an accurate sound. 

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 19
I am enjoying Adam Audio A3X pair + Sub7. Power switch with a remote controlled outlet and volume with a HP amp, however the volume and power are on the front of the A3X's and you can wire one to control both.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 19
  The JBLs that MindsMirror mentioned are fantastic for listening. They seem to be tuned more for listening than for critique unlike most studio monitors. I had a pair of Focal Solo6s that were very good as well, but they were fairly flat, without being fatiguing however. Those Yammies however, do seem to be a bit tipped up, and harsh *to my ears*, which may just be an indication of how accurate they are, but I've come to realize how much I don't like accuracy. LOL

Them Yammies (HS7) sound amazing to my ears where no frequencies are attenuated or recessed (a true reference sound to my ears). The reason people don't want a very accurate speakers like the Yammies is they exposed recordings flaws and compared to their "fun" tuned consumer speakers, the Yammies sounds "flat" devoid of "musicality" and "fatiguing". I find that of all the sizes, the HS7 has the "flattest" response out of the 3 sizes. I don't need a subwoofer with the HS7 since the bass goes deep to 30 Hz without sounding rolled off.

As for OP, always demo studio speakers before deciding.

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #10 of 19

but many people says that Monitors are not good for listening to music, for example

Only in how some plugs and ports don't always work seamlessly (which even then having an actual issue isn't all that commonplace), or how they have an amp built in but its easier to find a home audio amp than just a preamp to control that built in amp.

Otherwise I can't see why they wouldn't be good for music when the music you'll listen to was mastered and mixed on such speakers. It just depends on which specific set of speakers.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 19
Been using studio monitors for many years now as my everyday speakers at the computer, only downside is that bad records sounds bad. But that is the same for good headphones also. One thing to take note of when deciding on a monitor, many models generate self noise coming from their inbuilt amp. Some can even buzz/hiss so loud that you hear it 2m away, many companies skimp on the internals to make their models as cheap as possible but also on higher end. Seems like many d-class designs have more noise than the old AB class design, and the noise is higher on models with stronger amps like most 8 inches.

Try and see if you are able to go to a store and listen to some models if u decide to go this route. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 19
  Been using studio monitors for many years now as my everyday speakers at the computer, only downside is that bad records sounds bad. But that is the same for good headphones also. One thing to take note of when deciding on a monitor, many models generate self noise coming from their inbuilt amp. Some can even buzz/hiss so loud that you hear it 2m away, many companies skimp on the internals to make their models as cheap as possible but also on higher end. Seems like many d-class designs have more noise than the old AB class design, and the noise is higher on models with stronger amps like most 8 inches.

Try and see if you are able to go to a store and listen to some models if u decide to go this route. 

Those are cheap monitors. Good class D amps like those in Genelecs are dead silent. The class AB amp from my Yamaha HS7 are also dead quiet.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 19
Have used models that has costed more than 1000$ pair that got self generated hiss, and on the cheap systems this problem is clearly more often in the d-class designs. But a good class d is fine, but what model who got that is mystery. Had a round and tried 7 models at home 5 had hiss, all 5 class d. Yamaha HS 8 silent same as you said, but models like presonus sceptre s8, r80, JBL LSR308, Mackie XR624 and tannoy reveal 802 had hiss.

At first I belived it was ground loop problem so I fixed that, but on the models listed the noise where the same after even when connected or not to any source. And unnafected of the gain. Some models more than others ofc, on some you only hear it if its dead silent at home or when you take you head closer than 1m to the speaker. The worst one I tried could be heard 3-4m away if it was silent aslong as you were in the middle of them.

the one im using now is a class d if im not wrong, but made properly. Hedd Type 05.

Jan 12, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 19
subbed to this thread

i just got audioengine a5+ for a song,used US$190...
added a small pioneer sw 8km2 subwoofer
...just bought these stands to distance them
(height adjustable, too...on ebay for US$65 shipped to Canada..cheaper if you live in the US)

i was going to upgrade to the emotiva airmotive 4S...then the adam F5...but think
i'll try for the focal alpha 50s from all the good reviews i'm reading......
but dang: hard to find a pair used...guy in my neck of woods
selling alpha 65 but too big for my smallish kitchen/workspace...think 50s will fit fine.
prob won't need the pioneer subwoofer.

Jan 12, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #15 of 19

selling alpha 65 but too big for my smallish kitchen/workspace...think 50s will fit fine.

I don't know what or how you cook but I wouldn't just put that kind of equipment near my kitchen unless you have a powerful exhaust fan over the stove and oven everytime. I cook at high heat with carbon steel and cast iron, plus broiling or slow roasting with a basting sauce, and my exhaust fan needs to be taken down every few weeks for a thorough cleaning. Imagine where all that oil smoke ends up without an exhaust fan running - some of the crud might find its way to the speakers.

Even water evaporating from your food can still be a problem, although at least this can be dealt with using dehumidifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back