Studio Monitors - Dynaudio X ADAM
Feb 26, 2007 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

diogodasilva

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

I am in a serious doubt about these two.
Unfortunately here in brazil I cannot listen to them before buying becoz there is no place to buy these monitors here in Brazil. I have to import them from USA.

The monitor I have now is a M-Audio BX8.

I am looking to upgrade it to one of these:

Adam Professional Audio P22A

or

Dynaudio Acoustics BM15A

the price for the pair is about the same for them.

what do u guys recommend?
Mind you I am mainly producing techno and hardtechno.

thanks a lot in advance!

regards,

diogo da silva

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 10
I would email Sweetwater (www.sweetwater.com) to obtain additional information regarding these two brands. I found my sales representative to be quite helpful and unbiased as to my equipment needs. This company deals with the needs of music producing and I suspect they can give you some insight as to your requirements/specifications.

I purchased a pair of Adam Artist speakers and the Adam Sub8 subwoofer. I am very pleased with this purchase.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 10
Hello,

I have not heard the Adam, but the Dynaudio is an excellent monitor, especially in a large studio. I had a negative experience it them in a small space (3m x 4m), where the Dynaudios sounded very harsh when turned up loud: they just overpowered the room. A few days later in the same room, the BM6a's became the best monitor I ever heard! Anyway, if your room is happy with the size of the BX-8's then I'm sure you can accommodate the larger Dynaudios.

If it helps, I found this thread: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php?t=40218

Good luck!

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 10
Adam is supposed to have killer mids and highs, from what I heard (they use some exquisite planar tweeter).

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 10
The Dynaudio BM15A also has killer mids and highs... in a natural way. My university's main studio uses these monitors and they're the most revealing dynamic speakers I've ever heard. If you're into techno, you might not appreciate the bass response of the BM15A, because in my experience it's a bit lean.

I'm also looking for studio monitors, and the BM15As are right up there. Sweetwater Sound is only 60 miles away from me and I have a few peers who work there, so I'll probably head up for an audition some time in the near future.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Dynaudio BM15A also has killer mids and highs... in a natural way. My university's main studio uses these monitors and they're the most revealing dynamic speakers I've ever heard. If you're into techno, you might not appreciate the bass response of the BM15A, because in my experience it's a bit lean.

I'm also looking for studio monitors, and the BM15As are right up there. Sweetwater Sound is only 60 miles away from me and I have a few peers who work there, so I'll probably head up for an audition some time in the near future.

thanks for the reply!!!

So for electronic music u would have anything else in mind? something pleasant to mix as well as good for long sequencing sessions... my budget could be something as high as an ADAM S2.5a (4000USD a pair) but I am looking for something on the range of 2000 as I would pay it without riping my heart apart. lol.

regards,

diogo

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 10
If you've got that much you can spend and you're looking for an accurate monitor, I'd get these in a heartbeat - but you need a big beefcake amplifier since it is passive. They have been updated many times since this review with a better tweeter and revised crossovers. I've heard a sister speaker - these are no nonsense monitors, if those are any indication. I own the step down from these speakers with far lesser drivers, and they still rock, very very detailed and clear, low distortion given the limitations of the drivers. Far better than I expected the drivers to be capable of.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...technology.htm

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 10
Don't buy without listening.

You are mixing electronic music...so I really can't a reason to have a million dollar monitor, the monitor just have to have good resolution, dynamics, tonal balance and translation to other systems. (take the NS-10 for example, they are not even balanced)

I know electronic music needs resolution (I make such myself sometimes), but mixing on a too resolute monitor might be a problem (if you are dealng with lots of textures and layering), the average joe has to hear most of the details on the average system. If it sounds good there it will sound a blast with hi-fi.

I would really put that money somwhere else
very_evil_smiley.gif

You probably have lots of other gear you're drooling on!

I like the dynamic range of the lower range of Adam monitor (A7, ANF10) , but I find it to be a bit colored, but it would be my first choice with Electronic music. It's very revealing for the sound quality. There's also the bigger, more expensive Adam model here in Israel without the dust cap, can't remember its name, it's crap anyway, muffled.
Personally, I would take the passive ANF-10 and match a good amp for them, very good vintage stuff can be obtained for cheap.

I can't remember the model of the Dynaudio monitor I heard, also one of the <$1000, less dynamic then the Adams in the midrange but more natural.

Mayne these lower lines are available in Brasil, you'll do fine anyway (-:

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't buy without listening.

You are mixing electronic music...so I really can't a reason to have a million dollar monitor, the monitor just have to have good resolution, dynamics, tonal balance and translation to other systems. (take the NS-10 for example, they are not even balanced)

I know electronic music needs resolution (I make such myself sometimes), but mixing on a too resolute monitor might be a problem (if you are dealng with lots of textures and layering), the average joe has to hear most of the details on the average system. If it sounds good there it will sound a blast with hi-fi.

I would really put that money somwhere else
very_evil_smiley.gif

You probably have lots of other gear you're drooling on!

I like the dynamic range of the lower range of Adam monitor (A7, ANF10) , but I find it to be a bit colored, but it would be my first choice with Electronic music. It's very revealing for the sound quality. There's also the bigger, more expensive Adam model here in Israel without the dust cap, can't remember its name, it's crap anyway, muffled.
Personally, I would take the passive ANF-10 and match a good amp for them, very good vintage stuff can be obtained for cheap.

I can't remember the model of the Dynaudio monitor I heard, also one of the <$1000, less dynamic then the Adams in the midrange but more natural.

Mayne these lower lines are available in Brasil, you'll do fine anyway (-:

What do you think about Event SP8 and KRK V8II´s ?
Since they are half the price of BM15s and P22s ..

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 10
I don't know the Events at all. In school (sound engineering) no one even talks about them, nor in the local insustry when I lurk for advice.

I've heard a few KRK's, and have a different model here at school then the one you're mentioned (maybe V6), and I wouldn't even think about going KRK. IIRC I heard the one you mentioned in an acoustically treated room 2 weeks ago, but I'm not %100 sure of the model because it didn't interest me more then a few moments.
Either KRKs are unbalanced (especially bass lacking), harsh, lifeless or wierd.
Any of them translated %80 of my reference music in an unreliable way. Only finely produced hip hop was very nice, and the V6 are quite alright for vocal tracking, but still unreliable.

Avoid lower end Tannoy at all cost. I don't know the higher end.
I like the old coaxial LGM (little gold monitor) as mains. They are brutally revealing, many people think of them as bright because of that (well, mostly sound engineering students that are having hard time to admit that they are still students, put any good mix or a mix of my teacher and the mix is a blast).
I would sure split that budget you mentioned to nearfield/midfield in the price range I'm talking about and good main, not forgetting ****boxes available.
Any pro studio has a minimum of 2 quality sets of reference, and yes, NS-10 is quality because it get the job done, so no need to go wild with the monitors as I see it.

We have Genelcs in here, I believe it's the 1032A (or a very very similar model if the 1032A on the site is a newer version). It's a nice monitor, although roughly as colored as the ANF-10, definetly at the same league but I would still pick the ANF-10 and carefully match an amp to hit my "sweet spot". A lot more expensive that's for sure.

Personally, I have DIY monitors called Modulas. They are less revealing then the Adams or Dynaudio to some extent but have a much better imaging and naturalness. It's fun to mix on and although I'm still a student, for me they are the most reliable thing from anything mentioned, I like the Adams but the colored tone bothers me, but I've been called a spoiled baby, that's for sure (-: I came from high quality audio before going into recording/mixing, although my taste in sound was always something upfront, fast and unforgiving like monitors, I just never found anything like the Modulas. They are a bit less upfront then the average nearfield, and I like that.

I cannot recommend the Modulas because I didn't mix a lot with them, and I don't want the responsibility of telling you "build this monitor and you won't be disappointed". I just felt the need to mention them after all of that discussion. But what I did mix translated very nicely to other places, to ER-4P and MDR-7506 (now THAT says something). I listen a lot to complex electronica (be it hard hitting Squarepusher or multi layered Steve Roach) besides lots of acoustic and fussion music, and there's no speaker I ever heard I like better then these little bastards.

The modulas cost about $220 in parts, not including cabinets.
I asked the designer today if he has any similar design which is more revealing. It would probably be more expensive, as the Modulas use the Dayton RS180 speaker, which is a new low cost, excellent performing model. Maybe I'll redo the boxes from MDF instead of Plywood with better acoustic fillings (that absorves lower frequencies better) inside and it will do the trick. I'm just afraid to ruin such a nice speaker as there's no guarantee it will be better :)
If he has, some day I will certainly try his design, he's a freaking genious, from what I'm hearing as we speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back