studio/monitoring headphones like Beyerdynamic DT1770 not good for general music listening ? might get boring in a while ?
Feb 17, 2016 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

OmidelF

100+ Head-Fier
so i wanted to buy a beyerdynamic DT 1770 but when i went to buy it they told me that since it's a studio/monitoring headphone it might get boring and not fun to listen after a while for people who just want to listen to them in home and not for producing and mixing

is it true ? i mainly listen to pop and dance and hip hop but now i'm not sure which headphone to buy 

they are telling me that a Beyerdynamic T90 or Sennheiser  HD8 DJ is better for my usage , is it true ? ( there is no testing the headphone before purchase where i live )

Feb 17, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 5
It depends on you. Studio headphones try to sound "linear". Like studio speakers. It will play all frequencies at very close to the same volume. Most speakers have specs that reflect this. +-3dB from 37 to 21000 Hz.

A great starting point for me is a "flat" headphone. It sounds great with music that has natural instruments. It plays back pop, hip hop, electronic music the way it was mastered.

Some headphones have huge bass, but it is not "accurate". Lets take rap / hip hop as an example. On bassy headphones with a big eq bump in the mid bass, all rap songs will have that "subwoofer in the car" bass. In reality, they actually don't.

Then there are headphones that have almost no bass but put emphasis on the treble and mids. Many auduophiles love this sound, but it is also not wgat was mixed in the studio. You may hear the floorboards creak and a water glass falling over in the other studio but you will miss the rumble of the truck that drove past the studio! THE HORROR. :)

The 1770 is a pretty great closed back headphone. As such it will have enough bass, and I think its a good bass too.

You can simulate the different "styles" with any headphone and your computer. Just use the EQ and set it in mire bass or more treble. Play around with it.

Listen to at least 4 sobgsvin each setting.

If you like somehing that looks like a smiley face mouth, go for the dt 990. (be aware they are open headphones. You can hear everything around you when you put them on, so you really can't use the anywhere but at home - alone. Because everyone will also hear your music.

The 880s are semi open, and quite flat. The 1770 do have more sub bass and generally a bit more bass. They cettainly aren't studio monitor speaker flat.

You can always return the headphones, no? If you want a taste of 1770 but not for the price, but the dt 770s.

Aaand you can always adjust headphones with a good eq, digital or analog. You can't fix a crappy headphone, but you can add bass and treble to a good one.

Its like with girls, you can put makeup on a ugly one, but at the end of the day ... You can put makeup on a oretty one but she will be sexy without it and in jeans and sweater. :wink:

There must be a sound studio somewhere close to you, just go there and ask if you canhelp out and learn about sound. Its a lovely hobby.

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 5
And they don't maye want to order a 1770 for you because they have some old 990s in the back they want to sell.

but did that happen to you ? like did 1770 get boring to you after a while ? ( i know it depends on a person but i wanna know your experience with it ) 

ALSO , you said it would play every frequencies in the same volume , that doesn't cause problems ? like making you to volume up or down just because like mid range is loud but the others are not ?

and last but not least , what about beyer T90 ? how is it compared to 1770 , since they both are 250 ohms , what is the difference ?

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 5
but did that happen to you ? like did 1770 get boring to you after a while ? ( i know it depends on a person but i wanna know your experience with it ) 

ALSO , you said it would play every frequencies in the same volume , that doesn't cause problems ? like making you to volume up or down just because like mid range is loud but the others are not ?

and last but not least , what about beyer T90 ? how is it compared to 1770 , since they both are 250 ohms , what is the difference ?

Its my favorite headphone currently. It won't get boring because I love that sound. My speakers are also very honest. Bad recordings or masterings sound very bad, great ones fery good.

I don't understand your first sentence? Youtube sine wave sweep. "flat" speakers will play all frequecies, from bass to mids to highs at the same volume. If you turn the volume higher, then is will play all frequecies louder equally loud.

990 will have more bass (but not cleaner than 1770) and more highs. So middle (voices) are quieter. Highs are nicer on 1770.

990 is open back, 1770 closed. Can't use 990 on the airplane, bus, car, library.

Just buy the 1770. I think you will really like it. Or, buy the 770. Its very close to the same sound. More bass. A bit like 990 but closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back