Studio monitor speakers with computer display?
Nov 5, 2008 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Patrick82

Banned
I want to switch into a speaker setup but I need a computer display between them. If I put the speakers on my desk, are studio monitors the only choice? I was looking at M-Audio, but are there something higher quality?

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I put the speakers on my desk, are studio monitors the only choice?

-How big is your desk? Couldn't you get a couple of speaker stands instead? Something like the Raxxess ESS-42BSL.

Quote:

I was looking at M-Audio, but are there something higher quality

-Of course there are something higher quality, but what's your budget?

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 32
they need to be shielded speakers so you're limited in what you can use.

dynaudio came out with a new powered pc speaker called the mc 15, it's quite good, all you need is a preamp. look into a sugden headmaster perhaps? (for being really small so that you could stash it right next to your monitor, plus it's actually an amazing headphone amp)

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 32
I can't recommend anything I haven't heard before. At the moment, I'm using a pair of Genelec 1032A, I'm content with them for now. I've also used the Mackie HR824mk2 before. In my 'unbiased' view, I think the Genelecs are a little better, but do they justifies the premium price? That's debatable. But since your budget is not limited, you might want to consider them.

Nov 6, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

I was looking at ADAM Audio monitors, their subs have ICEpower amps inside! But do the normal speakers have it too? I love ICEpower amps!

If Wiki is to be believed, then you don't have that many choices:

ICEpower - Wiki

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 32
You could try the Focal XS 2.1 system on the lower end. It just was released recently with some initial good impressions.

If your 30" is an LCD or plasma display, you won't need shielded speakers. We use Mackie HR624's at work for near-field use at the video workstations. They do the job quite nicely.

It just depends on what you're looking for for "next-to-computer-screen" speakers. Usually, you'll have more issues with room acoustics and early reflections from the desk to your ears than trying to get the "best" equipment.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 32
I'm very confused, on wikipedia it says: - Adam Audio: studio monitors are driven by ICEpower.

When I look at their website it doesn't say anything about ICEpower. And when I look at shopping sites some of the monitors are 8 years old! It was before ICEpower was available!

Adam A7 are from 2006, maybe they have ICEpower? I don't think they have it, they are only 400 Euro per speaker!
Reviews say they are good, should I get Adam A7 studio monitors?

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 32
The X 10 is the best studio monitor (in a normal form factor) that I've ever heard. They are astonishing in their accurate reproduction of real musical events with all the impact and nuances of the real thing. Off the shelf monitors like JBL, Event, Tannoy, Genelec, Dynaudio, Adam, and M-Audio are toys compared to these. They are large (about a 3 ft square grill) and no monitor will sound it's best sitting on a desktop (they should be installed about head high around 5 feet away and that's how they're designed). Meyersound also makes the HD-1 which is much smaller (probably closer to what you have in mind) and much more reasonable in price. Most real studio monitors assume the use of an appropriate subwoofer too.
A guy a know ( Bob Hodas) who designs and sets up sound for studios has a pair of X10's and a Revel B15 sub at his house If you're looking for the best, the X10 is it.
Meyer Sound Laboratories Inc. 2008

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 32
If your budget isn't limited, you should go to a high-fi store. If you don't mind picking up an integrated amp, there are lots of much higher quality than M-audio. Most top end brands have really nice bookshelves. Focal just came out with a new Utopia line, the new Diablo Utopia and the Wilson Audio Duette are both amazing loudspeakers. At the lower end I like the sound of the Focals better, but then again they are a bit more expensive.

You have a couple options for placement, you can set your monitor on top of the amp as long as it doesn't cover and vents. Or you can get a small shelf and put your monitor above the amp, just make sure to leave ample space for airflow.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X 10 is the best studio monitor (in a normal form factor) that I've ever heard. They are astonishing in their accurate reproduction of real musical events with all the impact and nuances of the real thing. Off the shelf monitors like JBL, Event, Tannoy, Genelec, Dynaudio, Adam, and M-Audio are toys compared to these. They are large (about a 3 ft square grill) and no monitor will sound it's best sitting on a desktop (they should be installed about head high around 5 feet away and that's how they're designed). Meyersound also makes the HD-1 which is much smaller (probably closer to what you have in mind) and much more reasonable in price. Most real studio monitors assume the use of an appropriate subwoofer too.
A guy a know ( Bob Hodas) who designs and sets up sound for studios has a pair of X10's and a Revel B15 sub at his house If you're looking for the best, the X10 is it.
Meyer Sound Laboratories Inc. 2008

I will get Adam A7 to begin with, if the neighbors don't complain I will upgrade to those Meyer Sound X-10.

What source did Bob Hodas use?

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 32
That sounds like a good plan. Bob listens to vinyl for the most part but his digital set up is almost constantly changing and on loan from different designers. It's usually pro audio stuff that most of us wouldn't have a use or room for. Half the time he couldn't tell you anything about the hardware or software because of non disclosure agreements.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

I will get Adam A7 to begin with, if the neighbors don't complain I will upgrade to those Meyer Sound X-10.

What source did Bob Hodas use?

the meyer x10 are alot more expensive than the Adam A7 right? like 20x more? or did I get the model wrong.

I'm also considering a ~$1000 set of desktop speakers and the Adam A7 seem like a good choice.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #15 of 32
Yeah, the X10's are around $20k a pair but for nearfield listening, I've never heard anything that's in the same league. The Meyersound HD-1's are really excellent and you can find used pairs for around $1k.
Be aware that studio monitors aren't for everyone. They're either designed to reveal the problems in a recording so they they can be corrected. Others can be voiced for "translation" which is how the end listener will hear the recording. Some of the most popular monitors would make awful speakers for pure enjoyment. But one thing that's consistent with them,.. they can play loud for extended periods without breaking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back