Studio Monitor: Best in terms of quality?
Jan 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sauronpk

New Head-Fier
I'm very close to get my new pair of decent studio monitors. I'm going to use them to mix some tracks but only for hobbie, i'm an amateur who like to record songs with my midi controller, my important use will be listening music in high quality in about a 80%.

I want the best studio monitor for the price in terms of quality and frequency response, so i thought in a 8" woofer or a smaller monitor with a subwoofer, i will put in a small desk so i will have benefit from a small monitor i think, obviously with MoPads and at the ear's level.

Another requirement is a non fatiguing system because i will use a lot of hours per day. I will put near the wall so another benefit will be a front ported system right? May be at 70cm from the wall...and i will sit from the system from about 70cm too.

In a short future i will treat my room.(The prices are from Paraguay, i'm from Latin America)

Yamaha HS80M u$s 1600
Samson Rubicon R8A u$s 925
KRK RP8G2 u$s 800
Behringer B3031A u$s 1000
Genelec 8020 u$s 1200
M-Audio BX8A u$s 900
Mackie MR8 u$s 1150
KRK VXT6 u$s 1150
KRK VXT8 u$s 1450
KRK VXT4 + Subwoofer KRK 10S u$s 1450
Adam A3X u$s 930
Adam A5X u$s 1440
Focal CMS40 u$s 1150
Focal CMS50 u$s 1680

Subwoofers:
Adam Sub 7 Pro sub u$s 901
Adam Sub8 sub u$s 1161
Tapco Subwoofer u$s 625
KRK 10S Subwoofer u$s 665
M Audio Subwoofer BX10s u$s 950

I would like to buy an Adam A7X, Dynaudio BM5A MKII, Focal CMS65, Genelec 8030A but they are in the price range of u$s 2100, too much money for me...

With all these options which is the best for my purpose?¿ I liked the VXT4 with the subwoofer but i'm not sure, because i can get the benefit of a great mid range because the small woofer, i can place them easy in my desktop, they are front ported reflex, and i will get the benefit from the subwoofer too in terms of low bass extension...

Thanks all1354

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
i will put in a small desk so i will have benefit from a small monitor ... at 70cm

In this case the VXT4 with sub might be the best, others require speaker stand because of the size and need more distance, but it really depend of the rooms and your ears.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 10
Hi there.. I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago and eventually bought the tascam vl-a5 monitors for 230e.
6 months ago, I wanted to upgrade so went out and listened to almost EVERY monitor available from 500 to 1500e. The CMS range was absolutely the best monitor I heard. Dead neutral (unlike genelecs), very revealing but really easy to listen to it for hours (unlike Adam), I can't stress out how happy I was that my journey had ended!

I wanted to buy the CMS 50 but stretched out for the 65 instead so I wouldn't need a sub.
I'm really happy with it, but if I bought again I think I should have bought the CMS 50 then gather some more money and add the CMS sub.

I suggest you go somewhere and listen to these before you make any decisions. Good luck!

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 10
I vote for the Mackies or Genelecs. I would try to see if you could find some used Mackie HR824's. They are my preferred near-field monitors. They always tell it like it is.

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I vote for the Mackies or Genelecs. I would try to see if you could find some used Mackie HR824's. They are my preferred near-field monitors. They always tell it like it is.

I recall a hi-fi salesman scoffing at the suggestion that active monitors were serious hi-fidelity solutions. 
He then tried to sell me a $12,000 set of speakers with $1,200 cables and a $6,000 subwoofer. No amplifier. No source.
I wen't down the road and in the keyboard section of a music shop some geek let me have a listen to a cre@mware card playing back some material recorded at 24/96 on both the H824s and the old Genelec 1029s.
It was then that I realised that true audiophiles can only be found in recording studios working for a living and that everyone else were a pack of posers and snake-oil salesmen.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 10
Honestly they are all pretty much very good brands that ppl swear by, it ends up being personal preference. I don't necessarily think there is a clear cut winner between brands like KRK, Mackie, Dynaudio etc. One thing you might wanna read up on is build quality and reliability. I've heard too many stories on M-audio BX5 and BX8's going bad and have had first hand experience with the BX5 going bad that I would probably not venture into them without an extended warranty of some sort. But they do sound incredible for their price and size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back