Studio monitor assistance
Aug 29, 2009 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hanus

Head-Fier
I have decided to buy a new pair of studio monitors, but I have no idea what I should go for..

These are the ones I have heard good things about, and that is in the right price range
M-Audio Studiophile BX8A
M-Audio Studiophile AV40
KRK ROKIT 8
B&W DM685
Fostex PM-2 MK II

My source will be a E-Mu 0404 usb and my music of choise is pretty much everything I can think of.. but I like a bit of bass

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for all help

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Check out the gearslutz forum if you haven't already. They're my go-to place for that sort of stuff.

I haven't heard any of those monitors, but I am about to order some KRK RP5's for myself based on the positive reviews they've gotten, and I currently own the smallest studio monitor's Fostex makes, the PMO.4 and they are surprisingly good. I think the general consensus on M-audio stuff is to avoid if you can. They're not known for stellar customer service.

You might also want to check out Blue Sky's offerings. They are very highly regarded, and most of their systems come with a sub, so you can better tune the bass to suit your needs.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Studio monitors are meant ot give you a accurate respresentation of what your source is producing. Trouble is many are used to and prefer speakers over monitors. That being said, I used a set of monitors for music for quite awhile. I still use them for recording/mixing/mastering tasks.
Since your into the bass as you said, don't those one M-Audio models have a subwoofer you can add?
Good luck with your search.

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #4 of 10
Ill check out Gearslutz now, thanks man

Hah, I didn't know they were suppose to give an accurate representation, but now that I know, it makes total sense..

I don't really want a subwoofer, I don't really have the room for it anywhere, and I don't have the money either..

Kinda sucks that M-audio is a bad brand, had high hopes for them

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 10
Look at the Mackies MR8 as well as an option.

Aug 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ill check out Gearslutz now, thanks man

Hah, I didn't know they were suppose to give an accurate representation, but now that I know, it makes total sense..

I don't really want a subwoofer, I don't really have the room for it anywhere, and I don't have the money either..

Kinda sucks that M-audio is a bad brand, had high hopes for them

Yes, this is why the term "Monitor" is used instead of speakers.
The idea is the response is flat and they are designed to give an accurate representation of what is there without color added. This is why monitors are needed when mixing and mastering.
Many speakers will be colored in certain areas to give a pleasing sound over an accurate sound...etc.
This is a general description of audio monitors....

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 10
i'm for the vxt4
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 10
I have the VXT4's myself - excellent choice, really. Sure, they dont have the bass of an RP8, however they extend more than deep enough to the point where youd want to cross-over with a subwoofer regardless (and RP8 still requires a sub too - their extension, while deeper, isnt deep enough). Bass has never been an issue for me, without a sub

Unlike the RP-series, however, the VXT's don't have a noticeable difference in sound between the tweeter and woofer. Further, the ROCKIT's have this metallic tinge to them that is VERY distracting. The VXT's are super crisp, detailed, yet unlike fancier monitors such as Mackies, retain a bit of smoothness and musicality (Mackies sound so dry, music is really un-fun to listen to).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back