Studio Headphones to Replace Shure SRH840, around $100?
Aug 14, 2012 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

cnote678

Head-Fier
So I've had my SRH840s for years now, and I had nothing but love for them until I went to put them on two weeks ago and the right can snapped right off the plastic piece that holds it into the headband part.

So, to get these replaced by Shure's service dept is $80. Can anyone think of a better performing and more durable reference headphone in a relatively similar price range?

Edit: I will be using these almost exclusively for recording and producing rap and hip-hop music, so I've added two new all-important criterion that any replacement suggestions should be based upon, considering their purpose:

1. Accuracy, without lacking bass
2. Comfort during long recording sessions

Ideally they'd function without being amp-powered and ideally they'd have short or exchangeable cords, but first and foremost they need to be the two things above. Thanks so much for all your suggestions!

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 16
Right can snapped off the plastic piece, eh? Same thing happened to me. 

I use Jaycar Pro Monitors, but they're out of stock. They are identical to the Brainwavs HM5 and Fischer Audio-FA003, both of which retail for $150 and are made with the same parts in the same configuration in the same factory, but are cheaper due to being from a smaller company. 

The StudioSpares M1000 are fairly cheap and are identical to all of the headphones previously mentioned. The only issue is, they're coming from a seller in the UK, so there may be a bit of a high shipping charge.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #7 of 16
+1 for KRKs

+1 for clones of Brainwavz

Superlux HD661 Professional Monitoring Headphones....I have them and love them...comfort could be an issue...and its on the bright side (which is not an issue for me), but for the money ($48) ... worth every penny.

Studios mostly have Sony 7506 / V6 -  The Superlux HD 661 are copies of them...and have very similar sound signature...Graphs:

Hope this helps...

Cheerz!

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 16
I reckon you should just get them fixed. SRH840s are pretty damn good headphones for the money, I doubt you'd find better under $100.

True that, even with new studio headphones coming out now and then, the srh 840 still whoops everything around it. Getting it replaced for 80 is something to go for.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
+1 for KRKs

+1 for clones of Brainwavz

Superlux HD661 Professional Monitoring Headphones....I have them and love them...comfort could be an issue...and its on the bright side (which is not an issue for me), but for the money ($48) ... worth every penny.

Studios mostly have Sony 7596 / V6 -  The Superlux HD 661 are copies of them...and have very similar sound signature...Graphs:

Hope this helps...

Cheerz!

I own the 681s, and honestly, with a few (extremely easy) mods, it's a very accurate headphone. Superlux 668Bs get a lot of love around these parts too.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
I own the 681s, and honestly, with a few (extremely easy) mods, it's a very accurate headphone. Superlux 668Bs get a lot of love around these parts too.

Yeap...absolutely true... :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 16
KRK KNS 8400s. Best inexpensive monitors.

So I would definitely get these, they sound literally like the answer to my headphone prayers, except for one little thing: they lack bass. Since their sole purpose will be the recording and producing of rap music, they're kind of immediately off the table.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/526400/krk-kns-8400-review-impressive-150-headphone

That review both tempted me, hooked me, and unhooked me. The thing is, the consistent surprise at their level of comfort was the one thing I so long for. Wearing my 840s for hours on end can really suck, and something lighter is really exactly what I need, but I can't have that come at the expense of bass. The most tragic thing about these lacking bass is that they're easily powered sin-amp, which I will probably be doing sometimes.

I am running out of an M-Audio MobilePre, so I guess I could find a model requiring the added power, but I feel like it's a compromise of versatility. Then again, since bass is a compromise I really can't allow, perhaps it is time to consider amp-necessary cans. However, if possible I'd like them to work okay sin-amp because it would be nice to be able to work with them on the go. No essential, but nice.

It seems like the Fostexes require a bit of modding to make them comfortable, which frankly I have no desire of dealing with. Brainwavz/clones..toooooo big!

Hmmm...if I were to change mandatory criterion to:

1. Accuracy, without lack of bass
2. Comfort and lightness

How would that change recommendations? The Sony ZX MD700s look pretty good...not so sure on the 7506 since I'd like to avoid a 10' cord, if possible! Given the new criteria, are the Superluxes still a viable option? Those 661s look pretty nice, but don't seem good on comfort.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
Hmmm...if I were to change mandatory criterion to:
1. Accuracy, without lack of bass
2. Comfort and lightness
How would that change recommendations? The Sony ZX MD700s look pretty good...not so sure on the 7506 since I'd like to avoid a 10' cord, if possible! Given the new criteria, are the Superluxes still a viable option? Those 661s look pretty nice, but don't seem good on comfort.

Just get the Shures replaced already :p The best sony's I know that provide stellar performance is CD900st though they are pretty expensive.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #14 of 16
Beyerdynamic dt250d would suit your needs perfectly, but may be above your budget. The v6 would work for OK for producing hip hop, though I personally can't listen to them without doing some eq. What about the m50? The newer version is supposed to have more accurate bass

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 16
Beyerdynamic dt250d would suit your needs perfectly, but may be above your budget.

Yeah the DT250 is probably the ideal replacement here and definitely meets all criteria. Also probably the only headphone mentioned so far that is actually sonically superior to the Shures.

You could look for a used DT250. I got mine for like $140 and its a tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back