Studio headphones for a new old-school recording studio?
Jun 9, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by lweijs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You wish
frown.gif
I was about to order AKG K271's a few weeks back, suddenly they were all replaced by K272's and K271 MKII's. The shops that do still have them.. upped their price :x Or you have to buy the K271 MKII's for more
frown.gif

But yea either AKG K271/272's or Sennheiser HD280's I'd say.

I personally like the 'old school' look of the AKG's.

K171s are pretty cheap, around 85-90 euros new. K141s are even cheaper, but though they don't leak, they do not isolate as much as the k171/271.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ludoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K171s are pretty cheap, around 85-90 euros new. K141s are even cheaper, but though they don't leak, they do not isolate as much as the k171/271.

Hmm yea but I don't really like on ears myself, I use the PC150's which are also on ear, and I'd prefer something else myself
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SawaFish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my pair before the K272HD was released for 125 euros, but the prices for the K272HD and K271MKII are indeed quite a bit higher. Seeing you live also in the Netherlands, do you know where I can audition some K240s's?

AKG K 240 Studio Kopfhörer, halboffen, 55 ohm @ Music Store

Only one I can find, but it's in Germany. I think the postage costs are <10 euros.

Oops I think you mean, if I know somewhere where you can try them out. Then no
frown.gif

Jun 10, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #34 of 51
Tech advancements have indeed made improvements, but also resulted in some true gems over the years. The gems are what could be useful in the studio. There will be a mix of almost new and old. (But it is not my studio-to-be, it belongs to a friend with more money to spend on his hobby project.)

Jun 29, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #37 of 51
I tried them twice and didn't like them. The mids are sucked out and the bass is VERY proeminent. Totally non-flat and imprecise in the mids. My DT770 have much more mids and less bass than the ATH-M50.

They somewhat sound like the Sony 7506, but with tamed high-mids and pronounced mid-bass. But then again, the 7506 are unlistnenable to my ears now, so anything is better to me.

I would use them for DJing, or to give musicians for tracking, but never as a reference to me due to the sucked-out mids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most promising cans at the moment for the studio are the brand new Audio-technica ATH-M50.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #40 of 51
A studio magazine? You gotta be kidding me...
Those articles are like paid advertisements, just like in the audiophile magazines.
Why not try some for yourself and see! Pretty much any serious musical instrument store has em.

Quote:

But a Studio magazine thought they (ATH-M50) would be excellent for recording (maybe not for mixing but there are studio montors for that).
Any more thoughts about these cans?

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #41 of 51
DT100 are very midrangey sounding and not good for listening IMO.
Go for the Beyer DT150, lots of stores have em here also.

Quote:

Also, how about the DT100 to use for listening to drums (in recording session)?

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not try some for yourself and see! Pretty much any serious musical instrument store has em.

Not over here they don't... That's why some advice could be useful.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #43 of 51
Well here's my advice...the ATH-M50 doesn't sound good at all. No mids, no soundstage, claustrophobic sounding, just like the Sony MDR-7506.

Go for the Beyer DT150, Beyer DT770, Sennheiser HD25 or even the AKG K271MKII instead if you want closed cans that sound decent.

Quote:

Not over here they don't... That's why some advice could be useful.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #45 of 51
Yes, the DT100 has no bass and no treble extension. It is very midrangey and mainly for vocal use (talkshows, sports shows, radio shows, etc.)

The DT150 is full range and sounds A LOT better for music.

Quote:

Thanks, I am very interested in the DT-100. Is the DT-150 different from the 100s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back