STUDIO Headphones <£200
Dec 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #18 of 28
  I own the 7520.  It is the best studio can that I have heard.  It is very well built; has a detachable cable; but does not fold up.  In the U.S. you can pick it up (with some shopping and patience) in the low $300's.

I would've bought these by now if it wasn't so much extra for shipping and handling.

Does anyone have experience with DT880s? How they would fare for studio use..

Also KG Jag could you comment more on the SRH940's compared to the others discussed, or anyone else that has used them for studio purposes.

I had a chance to audition some cans today, small selection in my city but I tried the AKG K550s - they where the opposite of what I expected, seal/isolation didn't feel as terrible as people say, but the sound was shocking compared to my 5 year old ATH M30s which were a quarter of the price. Also tried the KRK 8400 (lacking in the low end imo) and some sennheisers out of curiosity (HD 380's).

Dec 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #19 of 28
  Does anyone have experience with DT880s? How they would fare for studio use..

Also KG Jag could you comment more on the SRH940's compared to the others discussed, or anyone else that has used them for studio purposes.

DT880 is very good, but it's an open model.

SRH940 is comfortable enough, but not above average. Even so, I wish Shure had built 840 with this headband instead.

They reveal many microdetails, but it's hard to tell if that's actual resolution or a consequence of their brightness. They're nearly painfully bright with treble-based music such as organ and some guitar-based metal.

Shure told me that they don't need an amp, and having tried them I agree. But they did improve with an amp.

There have been concerns about the durability of the headband, especially where it's joined to the housing. It does feel less durable than 840.

Conclusion: I don't recommend them.

Dec 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 28
You should check the reviews under the "Head Gear" tab.

The 940 is a very good sounding can, especially if you are OK with the fact that it, like the SRH 1840, is a bit bass lite.  It has a large sound stage for a closed can.  However, it varies from most studio cans in at least two major respects.  First it needs amping.  Out of my iPhone 4 it sounds like a shadow of itself.  Second, it is not made to stand up as well as a quality studio can.  Too many have had the plastic headband adjustment slide break.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #21 of 28

DT880 is very good, but it's an open model.

I know. Im tempted to start considering some (I heard it was semi open) as I can't seem to find anything that ticks all the boxes by the sounds of it aside from the MDR 7520's.

You should check the reviews under the "Head Gear" tab.

The 940 is a very good sounding can, especially if you are OK with the fact that it, like the SRH 1840, is a bit bass lite.  It has a large sound stage for a closed can.  However, it varies from most studio cans in at least two major respects.  First it needs amping.  Out of my iPhone 4 it sounds like a shadow of itself.  Second, it is not made to stand up as well as a quality studio can.  Too many have had the plastic headband adjustment slide break.

Im not ok with bass liteness. It's what I found with the KRK 8400 and it was a bit distracting. I have read reviews saying the opposide about the 940's though bass wise so will do some more reading..

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #22 of 28
You could also investigate the Soundmagic HP100.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #23 of 28
You could also investigate the Soundmagic HP100.

Don't seem particularly suited from what im reading so far, is there some reason you suggested them?

Anyone have experience with the 'Mag Dogs'? They sound like they could fit the bill if the bass is adjusted (or left on 'factory' setting) to be flat

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #24 of 28
Don't seem particularly suited from what im reading so far, is there some reason you suggested them?

Anyone have experience with the 'Mag Dogs'? They sound like they could fit the bill if the bass is adjusted (or left on 'factory' setting) to be flat
I went through the same process as you a short while back. After much research, the HP100 ended up on my shortlist. If I can refer to to the thread, there might be something useful there for you.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660405/dt250-vs-gmp-8-35d-v-soundmagic-hp100-for-music-production

I actually ended up getting the KRK KNS8400s, but I'm not happy with them. They are detailed and have their use for picking certain things out analytically in a recording, but their lack of low end, small soundstage and somewhat shouty midrange spoil things for me. I've tried to adjust to them and I can get used to them if I spend time with them and they can really shine with the right recording, but I need something different now I think.

Good luck with your purchase. Please be sure to keep us updated.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #25 of 28
Im surprised to hear you went with the KRKs, I found exactly that with regards to bass after auditioning them yesterday

Ive just came across a thread which is swaying me towards the SRH940s

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653907/shure-srh940-mod

Sounds promising..

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #26 of 28
Im surprised to hear you went with the KRKs, I found exactly that with regards to bass after auditioning them yesterday

Ive just came across a thread which is swaying me towards the SRH940s

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653907/shure-srh940-mod

Sounds promising..
Well, I made my choice without hearing any of my shortlisted choices. Given KRK's studio monitor heritage, I thought I'd be on to a winner. Oh well, we live and learn.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #28 of 28
Might be worth trying that modification I posted for the 940's on them if they are structured the same internally.
Thanks for the link, but I will most likely sell them (along with a couple more pairs) and put the money towards a really nice pair of closed cans, such as the NAD Viso HP50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back