STUDIO Headphones <£200
Dec 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

itsmeQ

New Head-Fier
Like the title says, im still looking for something that is accurate, flat, closed back (or semi open if they still offer reasonably good isolation), no colouration

So far here is what ive been recommended and the conclusions I came to with further research etc on each, I am still open to change my mind on any mentioned below as most of what I have been reading are opinions

Avoiding:

AKG K550 - I wan't headphones that form a nice seal and stay on my head. Also heard the bass is not neutral
Beyerdynamic DT250 - flat but not suited for studio use? (too lifeless, bass lacking) ?
Audio Technica ATH-M50 - bass slant
Shure SRH840 - lacking bass
Sennheiser HD598 - soundstage too large / open for studio

Considering / curious about

Sennheiser HD380 Pro
Shure SRH940 (found a good deal pricewise)
Beyerdynamic DT770

Please give me your recommendations or thoughts the ones mentioned :)

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 28
Hard to answer given how you rate some of these cans.  The 840 is not bass light; it has a mid bass hump.  The DT 770 is a very colored can, having "V" shaped EQ.

Quality neutral studio cans within your budget (based on U.S. pricing) would include the KRN KNS 8400 and Sony MDR 7506.  However, it appears that you are really looking for something quite different than that.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 28
  Hard to answer given how you rate some of these cans.  The 840 is not bass light; it has a mid bass hump.  The DT 770 is a very colored can, having "V" shaped EQ.

Quality neutral studio cans within your budget (based on U.S. pricing) would include the KRN KNS 8400 and Sony MDR 7506.  However, it appears that you are really looking for something quite different than that.

Those arn't really my ratings as ive not tested any of them, more conclusions based on majority opinion from this site and others. I may not be wording things quite accurately with regards to my 'ratings' though.

I am looking for something accurate, flat, closed back (or semi open if they still offer reasonably good isolation), no colouration (1st line of the OP) :)

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 28

Those arn't really my ratings as ive not tested any of them, more conclusions based on majority opinion from this site and others. I may not be wording things quite accurately with regards to my 'ratings' though.

I am looking for something accurate, flat, closed back (or semi open if they still offer reasonably good isolation), no colouration (1st line of the OP) :)

For any review or description of the sound signature to be meaningful, it needs to be from a neutral baseline.  Unfortunately in todays world, the Beats sound signature (or something in its neighborhood) is the "baseline" for many "reviewers"--whether they tell you upfront or not.

The KNS and Sony I told you about are both very good neutral closed studio cans that fall within your price range--at least based on the U.S. market.  Both can be driven by most equipment.

The 940 is even better, but is also more expensive and needs an amp.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 28

For any review or description of the sound signature to be meaningful, it needs to be from a neutral baseline.  Unfortunately in todays world, the Beats sound signature (or something in its neighborhood) is the "baseline" for many "reviewers"--whether they tell you upfront or not.

The KNS and Sony I told you about are both very good neutral closed studio cans that fall within your price range--at least based on the U.S. market.  Both can be driven by most equipment.

Both of those headphones sound exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Whats are the '940's?

Also, both of those are around £100 and im willing to spend upto £200, do you know of any a little better than those two with the same characteristics?

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 28

Both of those headphones sound exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Whats are the '940's?

Also, both of those are around £100 and im willing to spend upto £200, do you know of any a little better than those two with the same characteristics?

The 940 is the second to last can you mentioned in your OP.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 28

The Sonys are half the price of the KRK's, is that reflected in their performance? Could you comment on the Senn HD380, curious as they're touted as monitoring headphones with 'accurate sound reproduction' on the site.

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 28

The Sonys are half the price of the KRK's, is that reflected in their performance? Could you comment on the Senn HD380, curious as they're touted as monitoring headphones with 'accurate sound reproduction' on the site.

I have not heard the Senn.

Sound quality wise the Sony and KRK are in the same ball park.  The Sony has better/more bass; the KRK edges ahead or ties in most other areas.  Where the KRK excels over the Sony is in features.  The KRK has a removable cable, folds flat and is (at least to me) more comfortable.

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #9 of 28
A few more facts about KNS8400. It folds flat but it doesn't fold up. You will probably have to buy or a make a cable for it as the stock cable bears even minute noises into the left earcup. Other than that, it's the most resolving and overall neutral of the closed models I've heard and one of the most open sounding. Good comfort and isolation.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #13 of 28
Ive been reading some really good things about them.

I started off with your Sony recommendation KG Jag, ended up discovering the MDR-7520's (which are discontinued here in the UK but I can pay a little to get them imported) which sound incredible, then found they were being compared with the focals.

Both are a similar price and from what im reading are amazing reference studio headphones with little to no flaws. I don't mind paying a little more for something that is perfect for me.

Have either of you listened to the MDR-7520's?

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 28
Have you looked at the German Maestro lineup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back