Students: What does your school do to promote sustainable transportation?
Jan 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

acidbasement

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm doing some volunteer work and I've been asked to put together a list of schools and what they do to promote Earth-friendly transportation.

For example, my alma mater had a mandatory U-Pass, which was included in our student tuition fees and gave every student unlimited access to public transit. I've also read about a few campuses (U of Colorado at Boulder, for example) that have really neat initiatives around encouraging cycling.

If your school does something cool that encourages students and staff to bus, train, cycle, carpool, or walk to school, can you tell me what it is, the name of the school, and if you have time, provide a URL?

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 25
my school has a pretty substantial green initiative program which does include transportation. Everything should be on this site... UB Green

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 25
U of Colo Boulder allowed for unlimited rides on the bus system in and around the Boulder/Denver metro. Worked out really nicely for me as a student out there. I went 3-4 months on one tank of gas in a regular sedan. The bus pass was included in our semester dues.

In addition, the Town of Boulder had tons of interconnected bike paths and bike routes that allowed for the use of bikes to virtually everywhere.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 25
Mandatory 20 minutes walk up a hill and 10-15 minutes to look for parking along with a good transportation system is pretty much like promoting taking the subway.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 25
At the University of Minnesota Duluth, public transit(buses) are free with your student ID. Here is a link to a short note on the program. The DTA(public transit in Duluth) also is beginning to phase in some hybrid buses.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 25
Washington State University, like many mentioned here, includes a bus pass in the mandatory fees.

Other than that, I'm not too sure. I believe there are some carpooling programs, but the school is really the center of town and there are lots of housing options on or really close to campus.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark50521 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the University of Minnesota Duluth, public transit(buses) are free with your student ID. Here is a link to a short note on the program. The DTA(public transit in Duluth) also is beginning to phase in some hybrid buses.

I'd like to add that there is a ride board where students can post riders wanted or driver wanted, a car pool type situation. I used it a few times when I was a student at UMD.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #12 of 25
At Mississippi State we have a shuttle service that takes us around campus. The shuttles also go out to the bars on the weekends. Also we have a couple of hundred free bikes to ride around campus with. That's about it really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back